Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U. S. Marines

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ross, May 8, 2002.

1. Ross

Ross Registered Member

I am thinking of joining the Marines and I am wondering if anyone on coloradok5 is or was a Marine and what they think of being a Marine. And if any one has gone through NROTC what they thought about that. Thanks for any info.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are quite a few of us on this board.I'm coming up on my ten year mark, The General (really only a Captian) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif has been a couple years longer, Stick seler is a former Marine. i know of some out on the west coast as well. I know it seems like the rest of your life right now (assumeing your right of highschool) but its a good decision. The benifits from doing even just a 4 year tour will be remain with you your entire life. It is a hard thing to do and do it well but i would recommend it to anybody. My familly has been in the Armed Forces forever. I'm a army brat my wife is navy parents grand parents you get the picture. Any other questions give me a pm, good luck. Good choice too!!

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I was in the Army, but I recommend the Corp. They seemed to be the only service these days that still has their sh*t together. Also, the camaraderie is outstanding. Most of the guys I've ran into the last few years that were Marines are straight up and I'd go through any door with them anyday of the week.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Got out after 4 years in November. Had a good time. Just make sure you know what you are getting in to and the recruiter is giving you the truth, not a line of BS. Mine fairly screwed me over. I still had a good time, did some good stuff, and met some great people. You're going to do stuff that sucks, you're going to love some of it, and some of it is going to suck, then you look back and think it was nothing.

It's a good service, lots of tradition and cameraderie, and you'll meet some of the people you will know for the rest of your life. I still get a lot of pride when I see something about the Marines. Heck, the only sticker I have on my truck is a little round US Marines one./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Semper Fi./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. MT ZION

MT ZION Registered Member

If I were you I would think hard about this decision. I almost went into the Marine Corp right after I graduated High School. My dad talked me out of it, and he is a former Navy Seal. He said he didn't want them to brain wash me like they did to him. I'm glad I listened to him. Mostly all the people I know that were in the sevice especially the ones that went to war have serious mental problems. Just my 2 cents, good luck on making your decision.

MT ZION

6. sapper

not to be to rude but that is a bunch of $hit. My father was a 21 year combat veteran i have 10 years with trips to bosnia in 95-96 and i dont think you know what your talking about. if making people relize that they are responsible for there actions, give them something to be proud about, and have them help protect this country is your idea of brain washing i dont know what to tell you. Mayby if you would of stepped up to the plate you could have a better understanding about what i'm saying but i guess that did'nt happen. I'm NOT trying to start a fight here and you do of course have the right to your feelings but the man asked about people who ARE Marines.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

This is just my opinion... so take it for what its worth.

If you want to be an 0311 or 0331 (real deal pickel-suit-wearing ground pounder like I was from 93-97) then join the Marines and be a grunt. If you wanna be a pogue (ie any job in the military in which you are not in direct combat like... tankers, pilots, grunts, etc are) then go in the Army or Air Force... whichever will give ya the best deal with respect to money for school etc.

AFA "brainwashing" goes, thats a bunch of poop. I decided before I went in that I wanted to be a grunt for 4 years... and then (if I was still alive) get out and go to college. No amount of "indoctrination" changed that. If you don't have the mental toughness to make up your own mind on an issue of that importance, you prolly shouldn't be in the military anyway... I know I wouldn't wanna charge a machine gun position with such a guy...

semper.

J

8. MT ZION

I wasn't trying to piss anyone off, I was just giving my opinion. Like I wrote before alot of people I know who were in the military especially the Marines have issues. That is no reason to point fingers at me by saying I couldn't cut it in the Military. Don't you believe in the freedom of speech this country has? Anyways, I just wanted this young man to know I was in his shoes at one time. Sorry if my opionion meens nothing to some of you.

MT ZION

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Like I wrote before alot of people I know who were in the military especially the Marines have issues.

<hr></blockquote>
    Yeah, you are right. Most of the ones I know have issues with wussed pansies who can't hack it. Oh hey jekbrown, some of us Army guys were and still are far from being pogues.

10. sapper

oh yea i forgot to mention that retired fella i told you about (my father) who by your wisdom should have serious mental problems...he is a doctor now. your a idiot. one more thing if i didnt care about your freedom of speech i wouldnt be doing this job. it seems you have forgot that your freedom was won by people fighting and is preserved everyday by people willing to keep fighting. Just another note the Marines have been doing the fighting in every conflict this country has ever gooten to. That goes back to Nov. 10, 1775

11. sapper

Hey grunt face watch your step someone could of put a mine in the ground. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif everybody knows the favortie thing a grunt says is ENGINEERS UP!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. MT ZION

Easy guy, let me ask you one question do you really think this is a free country?

13. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Name one thats more free???

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

If you want to be a grunt or combat arms or you need some disapline Join the Marines. If you want to do tech stuff join the army or air force.

I spent the best 7-1/2 years of my life in the Corps, met some really good people, and went to some fun places. I did spend about a year with the wing and hated it. Also spent 9mos with LAVs that was fun. but the rest was with grunts, theres no beter job in the Corps. ( but it helps to have a fun job - Like TAC or FO /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )

15. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Here's my experience. I fully recommend joining. The Corps is what you make of it. You have to give if you want to recieve. I am a 21 year old Corporal. I am coming up on my three year mark. I am an avionics tech on Hueys and Cobras. I joined the Marine Reserve and I am going to college full time. All the stuff about Marines being brainwashed is crap. However, I do love the fact that people are intimidated by a man with short hair, good build, stands up straight, and takes no undue crap. Make sure you know what you are getting into, but do it and make the most of it.

16. jekbrown

&gt; Oh hey jekbrown, some of us Army guys were and still
    &gt; are far from being pogues.

If you are an army front-lines guy... you're not a pogue... I didnt have time to go through every MOS for all the armed services and list who does and who doesnt make the cut. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Thats why i said "pilots, grunts, tankers etc etc"... heavy emphasis on the etc etc. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

17. jekbrown

&gt; Easy guy, let me ask you one question do you really
    &gt; think this is a free country?

free is a state of mind. So in answer to your question... yes.

J

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yeah, I know what you meant. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> SEMPER FI !!

20. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

not to take anything away from the CORPS, but i have been in 2 branches (grew up in the Air Force, and now in the Army), and i can say that the military is pretty fun (man, cant believe i just said that!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif)

Each branch has its pros and cons, but now matter what you people say, "Brainwashing" doesnt happen, (unless you call making you believe you can do anything, then proving YOU can do it brainwashing) 90 percent of all the good things in my life are military related (10 percent being birth of my kids and marriage to my wife, who also happens to be in the Army). In fact, I just completed the Medical phase of Special Forces, and although i have about 10 months of school left before i am a REAL "Green Beret", passing this course was a MAJOR achievement!

have fun and stay outta trouble!!! lol

SSG Robert S. Usnick
    U.S. ARMY