Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U.S. Students Protest Possible Iraq War

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

High school and college students around the country walked out of class Wednesday to protest a war with Iraq (news - web sites), holding a series of rallies organizers predicted would be the biggest campus demonstrations since the Vietnam War.

Tens of thousands of students at more than 300 colleges and universities had pledged to join the protests, according to the National Youth and Student Peace Coalition. But attendance was spotty at many campuses and some groups called for support of the Bush administration.

Thousands of students also rallied for peace in Britain, Sweden, Spain, Australia and other countries. The U.S. protests were also geared to call attention to the effects of a war on education, health care and the economy.

Manon Terrell, a 19-year-old sophomore, missed three classes to take part in a rally at Stanford University attended by about 300 people carrying signs bearing slogans such as, "It's the Middle East, not the Wild West."

"This is a personal thing for me because my friends are going to fight this war," said Terrell, a civil engineering major. "It's not going to be Bush and his cronies in business suits on the front lines. They're going to take people of color and poor people."

Dozens of Stanford professors endorsed the rally, either by telling students there would be no penalties for leaving class or by canceling class.

In Los Angeles, 18 demonstrators were arrested for blocking an intersection during an interfaith protest as several hundred people cheered. About 1,000 students at Santa Monica City College rallied and 500 Venice High School students left class for a protest on the school's front lawn, waving signs and chanting "No more war, no more war."

About 500 students walked out of class at the University of Maryland. And in Milwaukee, 40 students lined the sidewalk in front of the Marquette University student union during an hour-long protest.

"It's good to let people know students have a say in what happens in the world," said Abir Chaudhry, 19, who carried a sign that read "God Does Not Bless America Only."

Hundreds of students walked out in Texas. At San Antonio College, Melissa St. John, who favors an Iraq invasion, got into a nose-to-nose shouting match with a young man who argued no positive link has been made between Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and Osama bin Laden (news - web sites).

St. John later said she doesn't like the idea of war, but diplomatic efforts to rein in Saddam have failed.

"None of us like it, but it's time," she said. "Our country is under attack."

Sporadic rain fell as about 1,500 protesters — and a small number of Bush administration supporters holding a counter demonstration — gathered at Penn State University. The protesters later presented the mayor with petitions asking the borough council to oppose war with Iraq and resist elements of the USA Patriot and the Homeland Security acts.

About 125 students and a few faculty members turned out in gray, drizzly weather for a rally at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Ross Meyer, a junior and founder of a student peace group, said he was disappointed by the turnout and someone interrupted his speech by urging the crowd to support the government if the United States invades Iraq.

Two sisters, Kate and Allie Dunn, traveled to a New York City anti-war rally from suburban Westchester County to express their support of the Bush administration. "Remember 9-11?" asked a sign carried by 18-year-old Kate.

Farther north, around 100 people rallied at an Albany, N.Y., shopping mall to protest the arrest of 61-year-old man who wore a T-shirt that read "Peace on Earth" and "Give Peace a Chance" while he shopped two days earlier.

Another anti-war group, Not in Our Name, called on workers to call out sick and business owners to close up shop Wednesday to protest a war with Iraq. It could not immediately be determined whether any widespread sick-outs had occurred.

Andrew Pearson took the day off from work to hang anti-war banners from highway bridges and later joined a demonstration at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.

"We're trying to show folks across North Carolina that people are ready and willing to disrupt their daily lives to stop the war," Pearson said.And it's okay for this goofball to infringe on other people's rights so she can express her opinion?

In Virginia, where many colleges were on spring break, only two students showed up for a demonstration at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.

"If this were something the world wanted to do together, I would support it," said Jim Sparks, a 32-year-old biology graduate student. "It's a big mistake to go it alone."

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Fawking morons, do they not get that they are functionally saying that Saddam is good and the US is completely evil. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I just like how those human shield people are all fleeing the country because instead of staying at places like hospitals, Iraqis were putting them in power plants and crap like that. I heard Iraqi military chained the doors to the hotel they were staying in when they found out they wanted to leave!

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Here in Corpus some group of people was trying to petition the city council to formally oppose the war with Iraq. The counsil didnt even allow them ANY time in the week's meeting and basically completely ignored them /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i had someone on campus stop me and try to get me to come to the protest...(havent done laundry in a while so i was wearing the 10 yr old tye-dye since it was my last clean shirt...guess they assumed i would protest since i was wearing hippie colors)

i replied with, no thanks, i dont support an attack on the US or terrorism in general...

boy did that piss him off, but as he started yelling about how we need peace i just walked off, not worth the arguement at 9 in the morning...

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I had hundreds of college students parading by my dorm at noon today, chanting: "What do we want: peace, when do we want it: now"
    Madison, WI is a very liberal city, which makes it a hard place for me to get around (and open my mouth) without getting in trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I mean sure, that's great and all that people are involved in their government, but honestly - that's not going to do anything. I'm sure right now the U.S. secretary of war is talking to the President saying, "Sir, some college students don't think we should go to war - therefore let's not" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif When will they learn?!?!

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I'm always suprised how people are will to get so violent in the name of peace.They just can't understand they're really supporting terrorism and attacks on USA by not being willing to let our troops defend us. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you look at old News footage, you'll see how much this resembles the 60's....only the names have changed...

I don't think the Cops will be beating on anyone on camera this time...

Remember Kent State...

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

Hey ya'll

I think its good that the students are trying to look for a peaceful solution to the conflict. Granted I also believe that the conflict is needed, but I do see the merit in some of the points people on both sides of the issue are making that need to be considered. Thats whats great about the US when it comes to having freedom of ideas and freedom to point out flaws in others ideas in the politics and what not. I just think folks ought to be informed about both sides of the issue. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How many students are protesting:
    A: Just to get out of class
    B: Because they don't fully understand what's going on
    C: Because their best friend is doing it
    D: Because somebody they know was called to serve

I would like to see how many of them would protest "on their own time".......

My .02 [soapbox on]

I don't generally endorse war, as I know it will lead to the deaths of many, but I also understand that what others are doing can lead to far worse consequences. If we go to war, I would like to see it quickly..... Get in, get out, get it over with. The longer this draws out (which is all the protesters are doing), the more money:
    A: We will be spending on offense/defense
    B: We will be giving other countries to help us
    C: The more money we will lose in our homeland making up for all the money not being spent on our soil.

Here's my extremist viewpoint. Turn the place into a parking lot, and see who the next A..hole is that tries to pull the same stuff again. Not very likely somebody else will. With all the stall tactics so far, look at all the martyrs we have created and look at how many anti-US coutnries view Sadaam and Osama(heros, to almost Gods). Yes it will come with a price, but what is the price to date (do the math over the past 10 years, $$$$ AND lives).

[soapbox off]

Sorry had to get that off my chest.
    I know some may agree, some may not. WE are ALL entitled to our opinions, just keep it civil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I haven't really seen any discussions (in here) on what the after affects of this "War" might be. The "War" hasn't even started yet and we are already experiencing a MASSIVE budget deficit, (400 billion and climbing) highest gas prices ever, (and climbing) unrest on our campuses, in our streets and in the UN, citizens running scared and buying up all the duct tape they can find and an economy that is starting to plummet like a rock in a bag.

So we go in there, bomb the crap out of a bunch of sand and rocks, maybe kill Saddam and then what? We force our way of life on a bunch of ignorant camel jockeys who were taught to hate us from the day of their birth? I still ask this question... Who the hell do we think we are? And who is going to protect us from North Korea? After all, they are the ones with the ICBMs. What in the hell do you think they are going to do with them? You think they are just going to build them and let them sit there accumulating rust and cobwebs? NO! North Korea will use them to blackmail us for more aid.

And here's something to think about. With most of our defense sitting in the gulf, does this not open an opportunity for someone else (sleeping giant) to come in our back door and lay some whoopass on our doorstep?

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

What a bunch of liberal pussies. We had some of these guys in town last week. They were protesting the possible war, as well as a play "The Laramie Project" that was playing at the college. They were dragging the flag on the ground and walking on it. They had anti gay signs, and signs that said GOD HATES AMERICA, GOD BLEW UP THE SHUTTLE, etc...
    Hey, if you dont want to like gays...fine. Thats your choice...But the dragging the flag on the ground and walking on it was too much. In a redneck town like this those people were lucky the cops were there to keep people off their ass.

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How many students are protesting:
    A: Just to get out of class
    B: Because they don't fully understand what's going on
    C: Because their best friend is doing it
    D: Because somebody they know was called to serve

I would like to see how many of them would protest "on their own time".......

[/ QUOTE ]

These children are expressing genuine concern and expressing themselves!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There has been some local groups protesting around here aswell. I tell them that they have thier heads up thier asses !!!! They all spew the samme crap "It's all over oil man, that's all it's about" . Dumbasses don't seem to be smart enough to understand that if Saddam gets wepons of mass destruction, that he will use them, and he will suply assholes like Osama with them.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I still ask this question... Who the hell do we think we are? And who is going to protect us from North Korea? After all, they are the ones with the ICBMs. What in the hell do you think they are going to do with them? You think they are just going to build them and let them sit there accumulating rust and cobwebs? NO! North Korea will use them to blackmail us for more aid.

[/ QUOTE ] They are anouncing it to the world. It's all about making a deal. Dissarm for aide. Saddom is hidding his crap. Belive Saddom would use them if he had them. He's been trying to develope Nuclar wepons for awhile now. N. Korea will blow smoke up our asses for a while and let us make some deal of such-n-such aide if they'll dissarm. Saddom wouldn't do that. He'd try to take over smaller countrys like he has in the past. Iraq is too aggressive, and needs to be put in it's place !!!!!

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The most intelligent and most used argument against war from these students that I have heard is this, "Uh, like dude, war is bad and peace is like good. And like, Bush should like find another way like to disarm, um, like what's that country, Estonia?" Fawking a**clowns sit in their classrooms, listening to their a**clown teachers reminice about the 60's and how good it was, blah blah blah and they fill these kids' heads with ideas.

A little story from back in the day of high school. I was writing for my school paper (this was when I attended school in the Gay Area) and during Homecoming Week, the school had all the theme days. Well anyway, I felt that since the paper came out on Wednesdays and that day happened to be Hippy Day, I should express my opinion on the hippy movement. The biggest and proudest to be a hippy teacher was calling for me to be kicked off the staff for that. Talk about hypocrites.

Now, on to the topic at hand......

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't really seen any discussions (in here) on what the after affects of this "War" might be.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, Iraq will be the same sh*thole that it always has been and I personally don't see reason for us to stay after we are done laying the smack down on their candya**es!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Why you ask? It will be a waste of our time, money and energy. Look at Afghanistan. Why should we worry about rebuilding it since there's been nothing there except for poppy fields and a bunch of yahoos running around shooting at each just because they are from different tribes? They've been doing if for the last 400 years and they will continue to do it. Iraq will just breakdown into friggin anarchy, they will fight each other for power cause they know no other way and are too stupid to be educated about other standards of government.

[quoteThe "War" hasn't even started yet and we are already experiencing a MASSIVE budget deficit, (400 billion and climbing) highest gas prices ever,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Gas went through the roof during Gulf War Part One. I wasn't paying this much for gas when I was in Hawaii, but remember what happened afterwards? I remember paying $.85 a gallon in '93. Budget deficit? If those a**clown Democrats would pull their heads out and breathe some fresh air, we wouldn't have that problem.

[ QUOTE ]
    unrest on our campuses,

[/ QUOTE ]
    See previous point on snot-nosed kids being taught by hippies.

[ QUOTE ]
    in our streets

[/ QUOTE ]
    By a bunch of uneducated morons who are still pissed about losing the last election and still to this day, have not proven their oil argument and want us to sit on our hands until we get bombed again.

[ QUOTE ]
    and in the UN,

[/ QUOTE ]
    If the UN doesn't like it, I'm sure France has some prime real estate they wouldn't mind giving up. **** THE UN!

[ QUOTE ]
    and an economy that is starting to plummet like a rock in a bag.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And like the experts say, it takes about six years for the economical decisions made by DC to trickle down. Thank you William Jefferson Clinton.

[ QUOTE ]
    So we go in there, bomb the crap out of a bunch of sand and rocks, maybe kill Saddam and then what? We force our way of life on a bunch of ignorant camel jockeys who were taught to hate us from the day of their birth?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Leave them on their own.

[ QUOTE ]
    I still ask this question... Who the hell do we think we are?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe a bunch of people who care about what Camel A. Jockey has up his sleeve in the area of death and destruction to us infidels?

[ QUOTE ]
    And who is going to protect us from North Korea? After all, they are the ones with the ICBMs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    North Korea blah blah. Why worry about them? What do they have, one, two at the most? How far can they shoot them? Who knows? Can they actually do anything militarily besides run down the penisula? Nope. Yes, they have what, the #2 largest Army in the world, but that's only in numbers, and yes they are pretty kicka**, but they have a small problem.......They can't feed themselves. If the citizens on the street knew what was actually happening instead of living in the closed-off world like they do, it'd be revolution time. Their leadership is a lot more bark than bite.

[ QUOTE ]
    North Korea will use them to blackmail us for more aid.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hope not. Hope Bush stays tough with them.

[ QUOTE ]
    And here's something to think about. With most of our defense sitting in the gulf, does this not open an opportunity for someone else (sleeping giant) to come in our back door and lay some whoopass on our doorstep?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well still have a boatload of troops sitting here..................

17. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Make the Middle East all a big sand parking lot, N Korea, big parking lot, France...A parking lot. What can I say, people need somewhere to park...

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

From Goober's article:
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Protesting is more patriotic than going to war," said Fred Greissing, 42, who was dressed as an injured soldier in a torn, blood-stained shirt and fatigues. "I'm supporting the troops right now -- they are being used as cannon fodder for an unnecessary war."

[/ QUOTE ]

It really irritates me and I actually find it offensive when I see someone dressed like that to protest. Speaking of dressing to protest, I still fail to see how making yourself look like a 60's hippy will accent your modern cause.
    And, if he thinks taking a bullet's not patriotic enough, let that him take an airplane in his office, piloted by a raving psycho with no cause but blind stupidity. That's right, B***h, let's call all the troops back, then you can dress like a radioactive baby and protest the nuke that goes off in Isreal, then tomorrow, go protest violence we ignored today, that found it's way to our country.

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Well said Ratch! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, on to the topic at hand......

[/ QUOTE ]

So Bubba,,, I'm guessing that you are feeling a little bit better now? Are ya all well from that pukie virus? Don't hold back buddy. Let it out man... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif