Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U.S. sub hits ship in the Gulf

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Sep 5, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

whoops

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wonder who got the ticket ??

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok ok what about the important stuff, is the sub ok?

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Billions of dollars invested in research, design, and technology, and these mofo's hit the biggest damn thing in the ocean.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Definately the Turks.........................

"Failing to yield to a US ship of war" would be the violation.

:D :D :D

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya they can just tape it to the tip of a torpeedo for a speedy delivery :D :haha:

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

What the news said at noon is that the USS Philadelphia (fast-attack sub) was conducting ops on the surface, and collided with a Turkish-registered freighter. They said "superficial damage" to both vessels, they both went their separate ways under their own power, and "an investigation is underway".

Another sub captain with a "CAREER DISSIPATION" light on steady-bright, shining squarely in his face...

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Actually, under the international Maritime Rules of Navigation, I believe the citation would be .......

"Failure to yield right-of-way to a semi-submersible vessel"

Regardless of flag, I think subs on the surface are only required to yield right-of-way to vessels with the "diver down" flag flying, and vessels in distress.

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about ships. I know they are big, slow and don't turn on a dime ... but still ... Can someone explain how two ships in the wide open sea can possible collide? I realize it was night, but I know the merchant ship was lined with lights and the sub has sophisticated radar equipment. I'm guessing both were going maybe 20 knots (I really am guessing ... I don't know what I'm talking about). Can anyone in the Navy shed a little light on this for me.
    Seriously ... I'm not passing judgement here, just curious. It almost sounds like the captains of both vessels were being a little stuburn about who was gonna turn.

Eric M.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

it happens allot more than you think in the gulf, its pretty dang small in there, not a whole lott of room to maneuver, but ya, jeez, a US ship of war with all the go fast, and see other ship goodies, especially a FA sub, I'm thinking someone screwd up pretty bad

11. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

someone was sleeping on the balls to 8 and woke up to a lil bump....

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have not been to work yet but I will have some data in the next few days. Just as a guess of what has happened in the past the Contact Coordinator, Officer of the Deck, and Command Duty Officer will probably recieve letters of reprimand and the CO will prolly get **** canned.

Ira

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The Persian Gulf isn't all that big when you're talking about large ships. Most of the smaller ones avoid the routes the supertankers steam in so they don't get run over. Especially since even an emergency stop of a supertanker takes 5-10 miles...
    Airplane pilots sometimes think that way too; we call it the "big sky, little airplane" theory. But airplanes still collide in midair, and the sky's a hell of a lot bigger than the open sea, much less the Persian Gulf.
    IIRC, the merchie is only required to run sidelights (a single light on each side; red left, green right), bow and stern lights (a single white light at each end), and a masthead light (single white, I believe) at night in normal conditions. The sub should have had something similar to the above-listed lights rigged, along with a rotating amber beacon on the sail, which is the international maritime symbol for a submarine surfaced at night. But I've heard that US subs don't always put the beacon on, especially in foreign waters... and sometimes they don't put ANY lights on. But those are rumors, and not necessarily true.
    Probably more like 10-15kts each. Submarines are not very maneuverable on the surface, which is why they have right-of-way over almost all other vessels.

Like I said before, the Captain is staring at a "CAREER OVER" light, even if it wasn't his fault...

14. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the lesson. I almost feel sorry for the Capt., but I guess it's a big mistake. Subs aren't cheap, are they? ;)

Eric M.

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

No they are not I think it is about 1 bil per now but probably the only thing that happened to the sub is some scratched paint and maybe lost a few tiles.

Ira