Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U419 Axle Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Sep 3, 2006.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I guess since I'm actually getting somewhere I'll start a build thread.

As most know I am currently running a '79 Ford HP60 in the front and a 14 bolt out back. The 60 is stuffed with Superior 35 spline inners and stubs with CTM joints, 5.13 gears on an ARB locker, and 4340 Drive Flanges. The 14 is running a detroit and 5.13's along with yukon 4340 cut-to-fit shafts. Now, that may sound impressive but it's a bomb waiting to go off with 47" tires and 7500 pounds of truck above them. When I ran spicer shafts in the 60 and spicer joints, I went through a set a trip at least with 42's. I upgraded to Yukon shafts and spicer joints and started breaking joints which would rip the ears off the shafts. The warranty on the yukons took care of me but breakage sucked. So I went with the Superior sand haven't broke but the splines are twisted and there waiting to go. So, time for an upgrade.

Around 2 years ago I saw a thread on pirate started by Station showing his newly acquired U1300 axles. They were sexay. They had massive shafts, cv steering joints, 5" of portal drop, and were rated at 5 tons with air lockers factory! Started doing some research and found they were a bit wide at 79" so I looked at some other stuff and found late model U419 disc braked axles. They use the same guts as the U1300 but are narrower at 71" with stock discs. They also run the late model portal box shared with the U1300 which is a much thicker and stronger unit than the earlier 406 and 416 drum braked axles. Gear ratio is 6.67 or something like that, can't remember at the moment...

So I hunted and found a set of rather new U419's and bought them. They were in excellent shape or so I thought. When I tore into the front it was great, but the rear had been sitting with a tear in the torque tube boot and the diff and left side portal were full of rust and water. The portal was locked up solid. So slowly I found another portal box and cleaned the gears in the diff but then found I needed new bearings and seals and that was getting over $500 so I decided to wait till I found another front U419 for rear steer instead of wasting money on an axle I'd change out later.

So fast forward to last week and I found one, a nice looking U416 late model axle complete for cheap. Reason it was cheap was it had a busted steering joint on one side but I'm upgrading shafts so it doesn't matter. It will be here next Thursday so look for updates then.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. willyswanter

Ok, heres some pics from when I tore down and rebuilt the front that I currently have explaining some features of the U416's.

Complete front with pinion removed:

[​IMG]

Closeup of a portal box with disc and hub removed:

[​IMG]

Housing down to bare bones:

[​IMG]

Seperating to pull diff:

[​IMG]

Air locker. This is the slider that locks into the carrier to lock the diff when air pressure is applied to the axle tube:

[​IMG]

Shaft comparison. Dana 60 yukon 35 spline stub compared to stock U416 inner:

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the top portal gear that is on the rear axle, this engages the roughly 7" diamter lower gear which also doubles as the hub. Mmm, beef:

[​IMG]

These are pics I borrowed from pirate that shows some things...

14 bolt pinion vs. U416 pinion:

[​IMG]

Dana 44 carrier vs. U416:

[​IMG]

Upper and lower portal gears. The upper is the one shown on the shaft I posted above to give you an idea of the size of the lower:

[​IMG]

The front is completely reassembled and the factory brackets are all off, it's ready to go on the truck.

Going to get the new rear (front) and get it to the same stage and then start throwing them under the truck in November after the Moab trip and hopefully finished before the new years hollister trip.

But before then I will be building the 4 8 lug disc brake conversion adapters from 6061-t6 billet, the 2 pinion conversions needed to adapt from torque tubes to 1410 yokes, and all the steering setups to get the full hydro on front and back ready to go. Will be working on this throughout the week after work starting Tuesday.

Speaking of brakes. I am adapting to GM 2500 HD late model rear discs that are slotted and drilled. They are 13". As I said I'll be machining the billet adapters. The calipers will be early 90's Nissan Pathfinder dual piston rear calipers. Reason being because: A) They are dual piston and rather cheap and easy to mount and B) They are small enough to fit inside a 16.5" rim with the 13" rotor.

And speaking of wheels, I found some billet aluminum 16.5" Hutchinson double beadlocks from the Military. They are 5 lug is the only drawback so I will be detailing the filling, milling, and redrilling of the wheels to change them to 8 lug.

[​IMG]

3. willyswanter

A note about steering. The front will be the same setup I run now as far as the ram and such. The rear will be electric over hydraulic with a 12vdc electric pump running to a solenoid valve then to the 2.5" bore, 10" travel, 1.5" shaft (same as the front currently) ram on the axle. I'll be building all the high steer setups off the knuckles since the stock mog knuckles run the tie rod on the pinion side of the axle under the pinion.

I've worked out the steering controls which will be a 2 way joystick to control left/right with a push button auto centering control plus a center hold that I can have on while doing stuff that doesn't require rear steer like driving from camp to the trail. It will auto correct back to center if something in the road bumps the tires around but with the closed center valving the tires should not move at all but it's a good backup just in case. There will be a manual lockout as well for street driving.

Here is the wiring diagram I came up with:

[​IMG]

Click the image for the larger one you can actually read.

The parts for the rear steer and a new ram for the front (easier to get a new one instead of trying to build off the old one while it's still on the truck) are on order and should be here next week.

Updates coming soon.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

****in bling dude... that chit rocks. What are the critical dimensions on those shafts? Look like they are very similar to the 2" shafts Randy makes for rockies... just less splines. Your rig is gonna have eleventy billion miles of clearance with 46s...

j

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Damn!

Whats the reason for changing over to Hutchinson rims instead of just reusing your Hummer rims??

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

damn id love to have ur hp60 in the front of my k5...but then id have to sell my chevy 60...im a pansie and only run 39.5's not 47s haha

7. willyswanter

There lighter, I have to counteract the weight of these axles somehow :rolleyes:

I was planning on using stock hmmwv rims that were not recentered, matter of fact I already have them, because I need ~7" of backspacing for these axles but came across these aluminum ones and there more bling.

Once I go to the buggy stage I'm going the light weight route so I figured I might as well get these now since I don't know if I'll ever see them again. No idea where these rims came from or whate vehicle there off of but there nice.

8. willyswanter

The shafts are 1.76" at the splines. There not quite the 50 spline 2" stuff. But, also have 2.07:1 reduction in the portal so the axle shaft is only seeing roughly half of the wheel load ;)

9. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

mmm beef... and your oil pan is going to hate you

you gonna be parting out your hummer rims whenever you slap those others on? b/c if so i could use your pcv inserts :rolleyes:

10. willyswanter

No you couldn't, there all warped to poo and don't quite hold air like they used to. But I do have the new steel inserts from 66cjdean...

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey post up some recent pics of ur rig with the 47's please :) i dont remember seein it on 47s

12. willyswanter

Hrm, don't have very many...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Would you get it done already so we can go wheeling.

14. willyswanter

My truck is ready buddy, I drove it today, wheres yours? :D

EDIT: Hey, are you checking my ass out in that pic?

15. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

HAHA I was going to say I think Im check you out. I musta been checking my footing on nates cages. Thats what Im sticking to.

I can drive mine till tomorrow. :wink1: It needs to get moving ASAP I need to get out its killing me.

16. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

did you ever get that supercharger on?

17. willyswanter

Negative ghost rider.

It was missing a few parts so I had to order those then I started reading about changing pulley sizes which lead to higher boost which lead to me wanting to rebuild the spare engine with lower compression pistons, etc :rolleyes: :eek1: :o

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, you have the only truck I have seen that makes 47s look "small". What a monster of a rig!

j

19. willyswanter

So you got a new tranny? I've lost track... I thought you ripped it all out for a 465...

20. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Yes and Yes. I hit up picknpull on the way to nosmogs yesterday. Got a 465 with 205 adapter, selling the adapter. Then got to nosmogs and traded him that GPS unit for a 203/465 adapter and the 203. Should be heading up to Icemans to grab the hydro parts then just gotta slap it all in. Ill be heading out in a bit to tear the truck about for the 06.2 rebuild.