Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ubolt question with reversal kit

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by thatncguy, Oct 26, 2004.

1. thatncguy

thatncguy Newbie

I have a 2002 Silverado I just bought one of your Ubolt reversal kits for.

Sorry if this is a stupid question its my first time with rounded Ubolts all I have used before is thread down kind.

I put my new springs on and when to install the ubolts and plate.
    The ubolts fit but were a tight fit the the further to "all the way on" I got. Actually had to be tapped up with a hammer the last inch.

Is this good or bad?

I went to put on the top plate and noticed that the thread ends had seperated where they no longer went into the top plate.
    Is this normal?
    I can not force them in with my hands, but I can with a clamp.

I was told by a guy on the internet that I trust alot but Im just checking with you b/c you might be able to double confirm this.
    He said
    "that is normal and find, I usually have to use a clamp to get mine on. All good ubolts are made that way so they apply clamping force to the axel to keep them from moving"

Is this true, or did I get Ubolts that are not the right size.

Thanks a MILLION /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

did you buy the right kit for your axle?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I prefer to use a big pair of channel lock pliers, a clamp is a pain comparatively.
    If the bolts are only a little off (1/8th" total maybe) you're fine. More than that and you should measure the axle tube and call.

4. thatncguy

thatncguy Newbie

I could not afford to have the truck down anylonger so I finished putting these on.

The amount they Opened is hard to say.
    About 3/4's the thickness of the bolt itself. If I put one side of the bolt in one hole the inside edge of the other side of the bolt was right at the outside of the hole.

What should I torque these things down to? I put them on 110 for now If I need more let me know.

I am going to keep an eye on them for a little while and retorque them ever now and then to make sure they do not loosen. Think It will be ok ?

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

110 is good but you will need to check them quite often for the first few months. They will stretch some and loosen. They should also be a maintainence point before and after every wheeling trip.