Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ufc 54

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

darnit! I'm addicted to watching this stuff now.

Going to pay 30 bucks to watch it live on PPV. oh well...im taping it too :eek1:

anyone else?

2. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

I usually watch/tape em'. Is it tonight? Whos scrapping?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

BOILING POINT

Date: 8/20/2005
    Event Type: PPV Live
    Time: 10:00 PM EST

Tickets | Fight Card | Fight Poll

Summary:
    Chuck ‘The Iceman’ Liddell will look to avenge the first loss of his career and defend his UFC® light heavyweight crown in the process when he takes on challenger Jeremy Horn at UFC 54: Boiling Point this August 20th at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Also on the card is a huge matchup between Randy ‘The Natural’ Couture and Mike Van Arsdale. Six additional bouts will complete the eight-fight card, which will be available LIVE on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. EST/7 p.m. PST, on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu and Viewer’s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $34.95.

GRUDGE MATCH
    Liddell (16-3-0) is fresh off his big win over previous light heavyweight champ Couture at UFC 52, but he’ll have one thing on his mind when facing Horn: revenge. That’s because Liddell’s first career loss (March 5, 1999, at UFC 19) came when Horn, a longtime veteran of mixed martial arts with a record of 85-13-5, executed a first-round arm triangle choke on the future champion. So UFC 54 provides a chance for Liddell to wipe the slate clean against his old nemesis. But Horn’s well-rounded skills and versatility will present a tough challenge for the champ in what should be a match for the ages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official Fight Card

Light Heavweight Championship
    Chuck Liddell vs. Jeremy Horn

Light Heavyweight Bout
    Randy Couture vs. Mike Van Arsdale

Welterweight Bout
    Diego Sanchez vs. Brian Gassaway

Welterweight Bout
    Frank Trigg vs. Georges St. Pierre

Heavyweight Bout
    Tim Sylvia vs. Tra Telligman

Middleweight Bout
    Matt Lindland vs. Joe Doerksen
    Travis Lutter vs. Trevor Prangley

Light Heavyweight Bout
    James Irvin vs. Terry Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fight Week Schedule

Weigh-in: Friday, Aug. 19 - MGM Grand Garden Arena - Open to the public
    Doors Open: 3:00pm
    On Scales: 4:00pm
    Autograph Session: Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, Andrei Arlovski,
    Paul Buentello, Karo Parisyan

Fight Day - Saturday, Aug. 20 - MGM Grand Garden Arena
    Open Doors: 4:30pm
    First Fight: 5:15pm
    PPV Time: 7:00pm pt

Pay-Per-View Providers

[ DIRECTV ]
    [ INDEMAND ]
    [ DISH NETWORK ]
    [ BELL EXPRESSVU ]
    [ CANADIAN VIEWERS CHOICE ]
    [ TVN ]
    [ US Sport Bar Locations ]
    [ Canada Sport Bar Locations ]

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Who won ?

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've been watching the UFC since the first one and that's the first time I recall seeing someone taken out of the octagon on a stretcher. :eek1: I think it was the Sylvia/Telligman bout, but I'm sooo buzzed right now I can't remember what day it is. :D

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

****! I COULDN'T TAPE IT
    DID ANYONE TAPE IT?????????????/

lol almost 2 guys got taken out on a stretcher. This dark skin guy with weird hair got knocked out by a flying knee, and he needed oxygen and a mouth thing..

7. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

:mad: :mad: I missed it!!

It was my wifes B-day.....no PPV for me on that day. :doah:

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Who won ?

9. spearchucker

Chuck Liddell
    Randy Couture
    Diego Sanchez
    Georges St. Pierre
    Tim Sylvia
    Matt Lindland
    and I forget the other 2.

But like I said, Tra Telligman did go out on a stretcher. It was just a glimpse and I don't think they meant to show that.:doah:

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I love it. I'm going to start getting the bouts on dvd when I can. My favorite fighter:

Ivan Salaverry.

I almost wet myself when I saw him brawl.

11. spearchucker

I heard that Tito Ortiz got banned from the UFC (and Pride fighting) because he wanted a cool million for his next fight. Is there any truth to that?

12. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

if you go to titos' site there is a interview of him from some fight mag. its HIS side of the story, so i dont know how much of it to believe. i have watched UFC from day one also, i think the sport is awsome. if i was built with a more muscular frame i would love to be a fighter, but my skinny ass would get pummeled but fast. love the mental battle of it all.

13. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Tito is a panzi. He won't go to Pride because he knows he'll get his azz kicked. Fighting in a ring takes a lot more skill then fighting in a cage. The UFC doesn't want him becuase of his attitude.

As much as I dig the UFC, I may stop getting the PPV's. They've discovered the pro wrestling mold of milking money out of people buy having 1 good name fight and then trying to build up guys on the rest of the card by having them fight jobbers.

I miss the days of a whole card full of good fights.

Is it me or does that homo Sanchez look like Eddie Guerrero with his new hairdo. :haha: I can't wait till they have him fight somebody that knows how to fight.

14. spearchucker

I heard he won't be fighting in Pride because it's linked to the UFC. I just saw the latest Pride fight and Chuck Liddell was fighting and Dana White (the UFC president) was announcing. I agree though, it has gone a little too mainstream which takes some of the fun out of it, but I'm addicted so I have to keep watching.

15. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

He hasn't fought in Pride for a while now. Are you sure it wasn't an older show? Was it the fight where he lost to "Rampage" Jackson?

I wouldn't say they're linked. They've been trying to get Wanderlei Silva to fight the UFC light-heavyweight champion for a while now but can't get it done.

Most of the truly talented Jiu Jitsu guys won't fight in the UFC because the cage and rules favor wrestlers and stand up fighters.

16. spearchucker

Yep he was fighting Rampage Jackson. I thought it was a recent one. On the show they mentioned the winners of those fights were going to be shown on the upcoming Pride on Aug 28. :confused:
    The old UFC rules were better. You could basically do anything and there weren't any rounds, it was one continuous fight. But they had to enact some rules in order for it to be held in the US again. There were complaints that it was too barbaric. I remember one fight with Kimo where he got his pony tail ripped out.:yikes:
    I may have to become a Pride addict now. I like the Jiu Jitsu style of fighting.

17. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that fight was from 2003. I'm starting to watch Pride more and more. UFC is turning more and more into boxing. I like the ground fighting a lot more than the stand up stuff, but I guess a guy tapping out to a Triangle Choke won't sell many "Ultimate Knockouts" DVD's :rolleyes:

Speaking of one continuos fight. The Pride fight where Royce Gracie lost to Sakuraba was like 3 hours long. :eek1:

18. spearchucker

I remember watching that Gracie fight or at least parts of it on tape.
    Is the Gracie family still fighting in Pride?