Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uggh! Broken bolt help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, May 29, 2001.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I had the radiator re-cored since it was leaking and while the system was down I decided it would be a good time to change the thermostat since I hadn't done it since I bought it 6 years ago. Well pulled the bolt on the left of the water neck alright but when it came time to loosen the right one - yep, snap! I had about 1.5 inches showing so I tried the double-nut but they kept stripping and trying to strip my threads. So I got a stud extractor from Sears and that snapped another half inch off (and is stuck in the stud extractor and can't get that out). Now time for the EZ out but which is better? I've seen the corkscrew version and the square version. I'm leaning towards the corkscrew version but don't know. I've been WD-40ing the daylights out of it and using my wife's candlemaking heat gun on it too (the gun goes to 10 just not 11). I have a sneaky feeling the idiot before me used locktite on it. Any suggestions for that stuff? If the EZ-out doesn't work, it's going in. Thanks for any help and this is on the 1990 Jimmy

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........that's 206,000 and counting now

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG] When all else fails, get an aluminum intake manifold! [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

3. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

The only problem is whoever put this engine together (it's painted Ford blue) liked to use studs - that's what broke. There's two more of them used to hold the intake manifold down. I don't want to compund my problems.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........that's 206,000 and counting now

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If there is enough bolt left maybe you could grind or file 2 flat spots on the sides of it so you can get a wrench on it.
    Perhaps grind a thin groove in the top (screwdriver slot) and have a friend help you out with a screwdriver while you turn the wrench.

Maybe brush on a little laquer thinner to help disolve the gunk. Good luck!

Stuck is a state of mind!

Dan K

5. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

You can buy a lefthanded drill bit that may bite it as you drill and take it out, worse case senario you will have a stud with hole drilled in it and you can hammer an EZ out into it and back it out. If that doesn't work then you`ll have to drill and tap for a new stud or bolt.

Good luck

Just keepin it Canadian[​IMG]

6. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

if theres a bit of bolt sticking out plug weld a nut on it then you have bolt to turn out [​IMG] but if you do this make sure the bolt cools all the way down

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

7. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I think it's just mad because you have been driving that bronco thing so much and it wants attention.....Just talk nice to her for a few minutes and she'll cooperate[​IMG].

You call that dirty!?

8. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

If all else fails, bust out the torch and heat it up real good and turn it with some vise-grips. Good Luck!!

Buddy

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.

9. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

Mattman: You need to grind the rest of the bolt as flat as possible and get a small hole about an 1/8 inch into the center of the bolt. Then start with a small easy out the brand is not that important I use brocken taps that I grind down. You then need to heat the heck out of the thing. The reason you start out with a small hole is so the bolt does not disintagrate and you can always go bigger. Be real carful with the easy outs though they are reeeeeel hard and you do not want to break one into the hole! I"m here to help. Jeff

Its time to lock them in!

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I concur. Heat the surrounding metal and use vise grips on it. If its loc-tite, the heat will melt it, if its corrosion, the heat will expand the surrounding metal. Of course you gott worry about warping the mating surfaces, but keep water in the intake while heating it.

I have never used, and don't believe I ever will, an EZ out. The idea is somewhat unsound, especially on a bolt that is flush with whatever surface you are trying to get it out of...drilling a hole in the stud/bolt, then trying to get that bolt out by using something that has to EXPAND the metal as it gets a good bite, isn't a good approach. If you broke something off tightening, I can see an EZ out work, but I have yet to see where anyone has said "yeah, that EZ out took that broken off manifold to head bolt right out" The result is invariably "now the EZ is broken off in the bolt, and I can't drill into it" IMO

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I concur too - I'm driving around with a broken E-Z out in the back of my block. I had to fab up a new transfer case brace to make up for the fact that there's no way in hell I'll ever get it out. Oh well, atleast Mac replaced the thing, so I have a full set of tools I avoid using.

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Get a good pair of Vise-Grips, only the name brand. Then get a buddy to help. Tighten them on the threads sticking out. Tighten them to the point you dont think they'll click. This is where the buddy comes in. You and him both try to close them. I have done this many times and it works. Also try to tighten the bolt that is stuck, just a little bit at first. Sometimes this also helps.
    My .02
    John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

13. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

I have only used EZ outs on bolts that have broken off, once the head is gone there is little if any stress on the remaining threads. I have never used and EZ out on a stud though, I guess I been lucky enough to learn about this on the board and not on my truck [​IMG]

Just keepin it Canadian[​IMG]