Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ugh... another spring question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 14, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ah, my mind is going nuts...

first off, with 57" springs, how do you stretch the wheelbase? From what I thought, wheelbase is the width of the axles. So with springs, how can you lengthed the axle in order to lengthen the wheelbase? I don't really understand /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Secondly, when you reverse 56"'s, you gain around 3-4 inches rearward of the axle. How bad is this for the pinion angle and such? I was considering doing this until the pinion ordeal came up. So now I am stuck once again /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

That is all I remember for now, I have some other questions I can't think of now. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Thanks for being patient with my lack of knownledge, and helping me out /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

wheelbase is the distance between the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel. Track width is from edge of tire to edge of tire along the axle (similar to WMS). The biggest problem with flipping 56's is (as baddog can elaborate) when climbing steep stuff. The extra length allows for the springs to collapse while holding up the rig. I don't see the pinion as a real big issue when flipping springs.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oooh. It makes sense now that you told me the real meaning of wheelbase. Why is it bad they collaspe under the rig? So if I do steep climbs alot, I shouldn't flip them?

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

BUMP /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Collaspe as in break off, or collaspe as in flex?

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A spring is layed in the horizontal position to support a vertical load (your rig). The longer the distance from the axle to the solid mount (not the shackle) the flexier it will become (assuming proper shackle lenght and angle). This has very ill affects when facing up though. The spring is now trying to support the rigs weight along the length of the spring. The trucks weight still pushes down on the spring but the spring is closer to verticle now and is not designed to hold the load in that manner. The spring will colapse (bend heavily) under the weight. It is more of an issue with severily soft & long springs, a catagory of which a hybrid 56" pack fits into.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oooh I understand that. Wow you explain things greatly. So the farther back I move it, the more I am asking for it to wreck the springs? Hmmm I still need to think about this then /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif