Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UGH!!! Do I throw out $$$ for Swampers!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eclipse, Jan 20, 2005.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Ok so right now my 77 K20 only has 33s on it, I sold my 38x15.50 gumbo mudders that came on the truck last year. So mud bog season is coming up and I can go mudding with worn out 33s.

Plus my K20 looks silly on 33s.
    [​IMG]

Anyways I have a set of 36x12.50 Goodyears, real worn. I went in to Les Schwab to mount them and instead they looked up my account and I have good credit there and they can order me 38x15.50 TSLs for 1500. Very very tempting!!!

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Is that price for radials?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont ret the radials the tread is closer together get bias more spread out tread blocks. and if its bogg season get 2 tsl frt and 2 boggers rear. great pulling frt and great pushing rear combo.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Iroks should do nicely in the mud, "scooper" outer lugs, large tread voids :D I haven't had my 36 Iroks out much yet, but they seemed to hook up real well in the mud so far. I agree with staying away from the radials...if your gonna do swampers, do it right. IMO bias swampers=no compromises off road :laugh:

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The TSL and TSL radial have the exact same tread. The only thing different is one is a radial and has slightly different shoulder tread. You may be thinking of the SSR.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

False. The tread blocks on the 38" TSL radials are much closer together than a comparably sized 38.5" bias TSL.

For $1500 I could get you a set of 42s with quite a bit of cash left over. If you want 38x12.50 TSLs I think I could have them to you under a grand, and the 39.5 IROKs run a grand shipped to your door.

No reason to spend $1500 on your Swampers, Tim's Offroad has got y'all hooked up.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what tim said. Thats way to much for 38s. I got my 39.5x15x15 TSLs for about $1000. Yeah, I'll bet they said you have good credit. Good enough to charge you $600 more than what the tires are worth...

j

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you already know I hate credit. Dave with the Blue Suburban bought a set of 38.5" TSL SX Swampers through Les Schwab on credit, and it came to about $1500 too. Course, he's still making payments on them a year later and they're already wore down quite a bit.

It's tempting cause you can get them now without having to fork over all the money at once, but having another payment always sucks too. Even if you have to wait, I'd say put it off to avoid another payment. If those bald 36's ya got from me wont cut it, I'll loan you a set of 38's for when we go to the bogs this year until you get a set. Maybe throw 2 of the 39.5" Boggers on the rear and 2 of the Ground Hawgs up front and see if the 305 can turn 'em. ;)

And I think you know to get the regular TSLs. I think you may have noticed when we were up at my place a few weeks ago and comparing the regular TSL Bias ply SX's with the TSL Radials that were on the Truck Blazer. The bias-ply tread design is more open. The radials I have are noticeably less aggressive.