Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ugh..Front of intake manifold is leaking oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Nov 4, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

How easy is this to fix? I realize its a matter of pulling the manifold and cleaning up area and re-installing it. But what all has to be moved/removed? I jus seen where its leaking from the front, but didnt poke around to see what would be involved. Trying to hold out messing with motor til I can get the scratch for a GM crate 350cid. But I may have to fix this prior to that.

Any tips, suggestions or recommedations appreciated.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

To kill some time just clean the area good with brake cleaner and put some RTV on it.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about this and honestly this is what ill probably do. I jus flushed the coolant and changed oil very recently, so dont wanna do all that jus yet again.

4. looloozu

looloozu Registered Member

i'm with 4X4HIGH just clean the area good and put some RTV on it.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I would honestly suggest trying to clean the area like others have stated and put some rtv on that. I fit doesnt work, just take off the intake. It depends on what year you have. It isnt very hard to do. Should take no more than 2 hours since you only have to pull it loose and not actually completley replace it. Not a ton is involved. Just pull the hard lines (gas lines especially) and then all the soft line and then go from there. I would probably just lift the front of the intake up a little, scrape it off real good (make sure not to get anything inside the block) and put a ton (I mean a TON) of orange rtv on there. You need to be sure to just lift the front up and not damage the end and side gaskets (if there is a gasket instead of rtv on the end). If you do it carefully, it will work. If not, it will leak from everywhere and you have to replace both side gaskets and both end gaskets (the end gaskets arent gaskets but instead huge masses of rtv.) The intake has a specific bolt tightening sequence (i believe its like 16 bolts all together). I think they tighten to like 35 ft/lbs, and the sequence just goes from the inside to the outside. Id give it a 3 on a scale of 10....pretty easy fix.
    -Harrison

6. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Take the time and do it right. It will just continue to leak if you put a band aid on it.