Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ugh...Intake mani is leaking bad now

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Jan 4, 2007.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Dunno what the hell happened, but ive got puddles near the drivers side front intake bolt and puddles on the leading edge of the manifold. Im jus wondering how big a pain in the ass itll be to remove and replace the gaskets and ill replace the valve cover gaskets as well.

1) does carb need to come off?

2) does dizzy need to come out?

3) does coolant need to be drained?

4) If and when I do replace these gaskets , what else should I look for since ive got the top tore down this far?

Thanks.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nope,yup-yup!..

Not sure about your "puddles"..if its just oil ,leaking around the center intake bolts near the carb,just remove them and put some Permatex #2 or similar sealant on the bolt threads..they go into an oil passage,and can leak if no sealer is used on the bolts..

I'd use silicone sealant on the ends of the intake--toss away those rubber end seals!!--GM advised this in the 80's,and has used RTV only since..a bead of RTV around the water passages on the heads on each end is a good idea too..other than that,just torque everything in the right sequence to the proper torque,and all should be well..:crazy:

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah Fel-pro doesn't even sell the end rubber pieces any more, the intake gaskets just come with small tubes of rtv now...

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3)Yes
    When you replace it, make sure to tighten the intake bolts in the proper sequence. You can find it in a haynes manual. Also, dont use the rubber end gaskets on it. Throw them away as other have advised and pump a ton of permatex on the ends. Use the side gaskets though. Its not a very hard job to do and is pretty straightforward.
    -Harrison

5. Steve GMC

Steve GMC 1/2 ton status

i did an intake sway a few months ago and the felpro kit came with the rubber pieces that went wehre the gasket didnt (on the strip of the block).

6. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but nobody uses 'em. The factory didn't even use 'em in later motors. According to GM specs you should use Permatex Ultra-Black (NOT regular black, but the ultra-black - much better stuff) or equivalent to seal around the coolant passages and the front and rear of the valley. If used properly you won't have problems with coolant or oil leaks - ever.

7. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

dont use the end seals!!!! remove the carb, it will be easier to reinstall and not frig up the gaskets.

[​IMG]

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

While your in there...

It might be a good time to inspect the cam lobes for wear while the intake is off..also ensure all the lifters have their little lock rings in them that hold the plungers in,and that the push rods are not bent..I found more than a few that were missing the lock clips,and some bent pushrods on a motor that I thought was running pretty good,when I had to change intakes!..

Also ,if your using the stock cast iron manifold,they are usually packed with carbon deposits in the EGR passages,clean them out while its off,and under that tin sheild pinned on the underside,its a good idea to pull the pins out and clean all the crud out..also the lifter galley itself if its sludged up bad..:crazy:

9. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe you got an old set? :dunno: The ones that I sold didn't have them...

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, when I bought an intake gasket set this past april, it came with permatex instead of the end gaskets.
    -Harrison