Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ugh......Steering column teardown...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Apr 22, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Dec 28, 2001
    I just finished replacing the electrical components in my steering column. I bought the column a couple years ago on ebay, a not-so common column (i think), manual trans (floor shift), tilt with integrated wiper switch ('84-up). It was rebuilt (except for electrics). New bearings, tight tilt mech, new ignition cylinder. During installation and testing, the ignition switch was working only intermittanly, and I think the wiper stalk got damaged during shipping (he left it in), as a piece of the wiper switch plastic part was busted off just inside the housing and it was a bit floppy. So I had to take it all apart to replace the wiper switch, turn signal switch, the ignition switch and the dimmer switch. Not horrible once you get into it, I had to make a couple of my own special tools to do it, most notbaly the lock plate compressor.

Anyhow the factory service manual isn't quite complete in this area, so in my searchs I came across this illustrated procedure. Pretty decent if you ask me, so I'd thought I'd share. It's for Fiero's, but the column assembly/internals are exactly the same.