Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ugh....Time to make a decision on tires...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Time to start workin on the truck again. One of the things I need is new tires. I've narrowed it down to the following-

15/42x16.5 TSL's
    15/39.5x16.5 TSL's 6 ply
    18/39.5x16.5 Boggers

I really want the 42" TSL's, But I also like the Bogger tread pattern alot. I wish Interco would make a Bogger to fill the gap from 39.5 to 44. I'd buy a set of 42" Boggers in a heart beat. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif What do ya'all think? I think I've got it pretty much narrowed down to either the 42's or the 39.5 Boggers. $$$ isn't really an issue. I just want some opinions and stuff. Probably gonna order within the next week or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how about a set of 38 15.5 15 tsl radials for me? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    boggers methinks, make a poll...

3. Zeus33rd

Hmm...Poll owrked in the post preview...
    Wierd...Oh well. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

42 TSLs are cheaper than 39.5 Boggers...prolly about the same weight and bigger too. Just MO but I'd go with the 42 TSLs.

j

5. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    42 TSLs are cheaper than 39.5 Boggers...prolly about the same weight and bigger too. Just MO but I'd go with the 42 TSLs.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...Cheaper by about $20 a tire. Interesting. That might have sealed the decision right there..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

If the TSLs are cheaper and bigger id go for them.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go with the boggers, They hook up much better than TSL's in mud and any kind of sand or loose dirt. I currently have boggers and they grip MUCH better than any other tire I've had. Boggers also ride better than TSL's, My boggers are smooth as glass at any speed but are balanced and not cupped at all. 39.5 is really big and 42's aren't that much bigger at all, how many times does 1.25" of ground clearence really help? as far as wear, they wear great, they just keep on wearin' and wearin' /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif boggers don't wear any faster really than TSL's. Just my 2 cents but I am biased because I like my boggers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I love my swampers!!! I don't like the boggers because IMO, they have very bad lateral traction.[​IMG]

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

i agree with dblazer. sidehills, the boggers tend to be a less predicatable ride than the tsl's. lots of sliding and rear end tended to try and come around on me.

however, it is popular around here to run tsl's up front and boggers in the rear. the logic is this setup provides better lateral traction in the steering axle while achieving the forward traction only boggers provide. i'm not convinced of this yet, but of what i have seen it does appear to work pretty well.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Me and my friends all hate boggers and we run mud almost exclusively. I personally would only have boggers if I could only have a set of Swampers at home for when I get pissed off.

I say go with 42" TSLs. I think I'm going to get 39.5" TSLs next time because they're much cheaper than 42s or 44s and they're good enough for me. I'm undecided though.

Boggers work realy good for what they were designed for, forward traction. As said above, lateral traction sucks. I would also like to add that wheel speed with them sucks, and with the lack of lateral traction and no wheel speed to point you the right direction in the sloppy stuff, they're just terrible.

I like my TSLs. My truck goes where I point it because I can spin them, they clean out, claw for more, and go where I want them to go. With boggers, I would hardly be able to spin, and I'd just slide all over...but I don't have 50000 HP either....

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i dont know where you are getting that boggers ride better than tsls...if you maintain good air pressure and rotate them they will be just about the same...i had 39 boggers on my blazer for about a year and now run 42 swampers...i loved the boggers in mud and at the beach just because they throw so much dirt...the tsls float a lot better in sand as the boggers wanted to dig all the time...and if you ever want to talk to a passenger in your truck you can forget it with the boggers...they are so loud you cant hear yourself think

i say tsls for best all around...boggers were built for a purpose...waste of money unless they are used for that purpose

Later

12. Zeus33rd

42" TSLs
    39.5" Boggers
    42" TSLs
    39.5" Boggers
    42" TSLs
    39.5" Boggers
    42" TSLs
    39.5" Boggers
    42" TSLs
    39.5" Boggers

Argghhh My head hurts.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The lateral traction of the Boggers isn't a concern. Whatever I choose will get the grooving iron. Basically the only trade offs are the size/ground clearance differences... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want 18" wide tires, get 44 TSLs instead of 39.5 Boggers.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont know where you are getting that boggers ride better than tsls...if you maintain good air pressure and rotate them they will be just about the same...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have had SSR's,bgj mud t's,and boggers on my rig and the SSR rode better than the BFG and the boggers ride just as good as the SSR's in my opinion but mine are still pretty new and my SSr's got worse as they got older and I figure the boggers will get rougher as time goes by. My buddy has had boggers,(currently), TSL's, TSL SX's and the SX is the roughest by far and the bogger is smoother than the tsl's. All the trucks I've been in including my own that has boggers are as smooth as glass.
    We all don't have anything over 35's though so maybe it is different with the really big sizes. Most of the guys around here run 15x14's with 33x15.50 SX's and 35" boggers.

15. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would also like to add that wheel speed with them sucks, and with the lack of lateral traction and no wheel speed to point you the right direction in the sloppy stuff, they're just terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, you have to admit that if you're running in the slop the boggers are providing more forward bite, thats why they're harder to spin. You need some serious healthy horses and the right gearing to spin big boggers. I imagine the 402 would be up to the task.

My $0.02 - on loosely packed surfaces the guys with boggers tend to dig themselves some serious holes. Then you end up fighting whatever obstacle slowed you in the first place and the hole you just made. Also the aforementioned lateral traction issue. I think you have to ask yourself what you're going to use them for. If you need the traction the boggers provide, but don't want to give up some of the lateral traction, what about TSLs front and boggers rear - then only the rear end would tend to kick out. If you don't need the boggers to go forward, I'd say the TSLs - they come in the size you're looking for anyway.

16. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

if i can recall correctly the last time i was at desert rat in phoenix i pulled a 39.5 bogger down and a 42 tsl and the bogger was just as tall if not taller. now this could be due to several factors including not being mounted on rims. just my observation. i hope it helps. i would go with whichever tire you can find USED with 95% tread or better, it will save you hundreds of dollars. i bought my boggers for 700 w/ 90% tread.

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

There is a huge difference in size between 35" boggers and 39.5" boggers. I have always heard that the bigger ones ride rough and loud, and all the trucks I've seen around town with big boggers were very loud.

I'd go with the 42" TSL's, they will give you the most clearance (remembering you lose a lot when they are aired down).

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a huge difference in size between 35" boggers and 39.5" boggers. I have always heard that the bigger ones ride rough and loud, and all the trucks I've seen around town with big boggers were very loud.

[/ QUOTE ] They aren't much louder if any than the 35x16 because the tread is what makes the noise and it is exactly the same between the 39.5 and 35x16. The tread depth is the same and the side lugs are the same size also. The smaller boggers like the 35x14.50 and smaller have smaller side lugs and shallower tread than the bigger sizes. The 35x16 is basically a shorter 39.5 and 44, mine are just as noisy as a guy that drives by my house all the time with a Sub. and 39.5's( he's got 10bolts /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) But the bigger sizes do wabble and come out of balance more. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif as far as the TSL's they aren't quite as loud as the boggers but both aren't bad as long as they aren't cupped, I have good weatherstripping and I can carry a conversation with my passenger or on the phone very easily, besides I like that airpalne hum. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Zeus33rd

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I just ordered 4 new 15/42x16.5 TSL's. Goddamn thats alot of money...../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Enjoy em!