Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh, can someone tell me why my Jimmy goes through u-joints??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, May 31, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Ok, I noticed today that my rear u-joint, the one I put on last Monday, is loose. I caught it in the pre-stage to breaking. The pinion angle isn't off by much and my driveshaft has been lengthened. One of our fellow Blazer enthusiast, the savior to yesterday's wheeling adventure, said that the straps might be loose. I figured I would mess with it in the morning, because it's dark and I just don't feel like messing with it. Can you guys give me some input please?? Thanks

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)[​IMG]

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have had similar problems with those stupid straps! depending on what axel you have, you can change the yoke to the u-bolt style. if not, moroso makes a ujoint girdle which can be clearanced to properly fit the ujoint. moroso part # 85810. used to lose the rear joint on my race car all the time until I put this on. as I rcall, it was under 30.00 for it. jegs shows it for 23.99. it also says for a 12 bolt, but I had a 8.5 10 bolt in it. check the u-joint size. may be the same.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I know this sounds strange, but you are supposed to replace those straps, too. If you do reuse them and they are working loose try using some blue Loc-Tite. Also, if you are putting them in with a hammer and socket spend the $30 and get a u-joint press. If your angles are right the other things to check are: is the driveshaft true and in balence, is there enough grease in the joint, and last but not least, is it a quality u-joint. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

4. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The install of u-joints could also be the problem. I learned the hard way about 12 years ago........did the job myself but didn't get the pin bearings "seated" properly, so went through two in two weeks. Learned the proper way, now do them by myself all the time. Also make darn sure they are greased to the point of coming out around the rubber seals.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

The grease part isn't a problem. What did you finally figure out was the problem when you were putting them in that caused them to go fast?? I'm getting ready to go put mine in, here in about 15 minutes. This time I bought more than one, so I will have one spare if I need it. Thanks for the input.

Alex
    Wichita, KS

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, if you're doing it yourself you will notice after you finally get both end caps in the driveshaft if they move back and forth smooth or not. If not, gotta tap them with a "soft" hammer to seat them, then play with them again. You will eventually notice the difference with literally your feel. When they are smooth with no "grinding", ya got it. THen grease them again, and put the shaft in. Hope this helps.............good luck.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know waht year your Blazer is , but I have a 83 that used that plastic stuff to hold them in . I used a torch to heat the end up and melt the plastic out . When they were still hot I beat the old one out and installed the new one . Well in a short while the ujoint failed after 2 yrs I replaced the u joint 4 times . Found out the end had enlatged and the caps spun and may them work harder . So I had the old end cut off and a new one welded on that was 2 years ago and haven't had another failure .

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Did those add-a-leaves have any degree shims with them? I mean you did just lift your truck 6 inches. Are you sure the angles are good. Your driveline angles are probably off just enough to cause problems. Maybe the guys here could shed some light on dropping the T-case or something.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. BLzr4x4ngkid

I FIXED IT!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO. The guys from Powerdrive told me to put a u-joint in the yoke and tighten the straps down. Then move it with my hand back and forth to see if there was any type of racheting that would entail a messed up yoke. Well, when I put my extra u-joint(bought more than one this time) in, I started to move it and noticed the staps weren't holding the caps tight. The caps were spinning when I turned the u-joint. That's the other thing Powerdrive said could be the problem. Problem solved!! Thanks for the help.

Alex
    Wichita, KS