Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh-Oh 2002 Taco Tech...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Jan 29, 2006.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Alright, Hopefully someone around here can answer these questions.
    I was supposed to go wheeling with my brother-in-law yesterday but his 02 Tacoma was acting like the CV were binding a lot. Problem is that I just finished changing them the other day.

So we removed the coil-overs and put the CV at zero anlge and tried it agian....on jack stands....Still binding hard. I loked at it from a Solid axle point of view and figured it was the ring gear.

After opening it up we found that he was missing 3 teeth off of the ring gear.:eek1: Also found out that he has 4.30:1 gears, which are supposedly only available from Toyota for around $700 per ring and pinion set:eek1:

If that is true we will be re-gearing both ends with 4.56's and a locker of sorts in the rear. Already have tru-trac for the front that I will install.

Here are the questions....for those of you in the know here.
    • Pinion uses crush sleeve or shims for pre-load?
    • Carrier uses shims or typical 3rd member type pre-load/backlash adjustments
    • Do you have to completly assemble the front IFS chink just to run the pattern?
    I think the BL/carrier pre-load uses spanners like the 14FF and 9" as I think that is what I saw. Not sure os I only looked for a minute.

Sorry for the non-GM tech, but it has to be done on the cheap and I have regeared almost every kind of solid axle, just never anything IFS.......YET:D

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Damn and I though this was a food question:doah: . Sorry I dont know anything about Toyotas but I can lend a hand if need be just gotta check with the boss:o . I know on my Bros 4runner his has the spanner style adjustment on both his axles. Dunno about pinion pre-load.

Ira

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I know htre rear has the spaner type as it is a drop out 3rd...IE timkin type.

The front I am not too sure about.

I'll try to get pics up later

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status