Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UH OH! '83 K5 leaking diesel...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by botboy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

UH OH! \'83 K5 leaking diesel...

I don't have a digital camera so I'll try to best describe my problem...I'll see if I can borrow one from someone on campus...

Anyways, my '83 K5/6.2 Diesel is leaking diesel all over, at the rate of about a drop every 1.5 seconds, and it is leaking from the last (farthest towards firewall) injector on the PS side of the engine. I see all of the injectors have little rubber hoses running between them and I understand these as being "fuel return" lines, and this particular injector has one small hose fitting and a large hose fitting for what looks like 5/16" hose, but this isn't connected to anything. While cranking and running this froths diesel fuel out of the end that isn't connected to anything and this is not only very messy and looks bad but also is a pretty serious fire hazard, something I don't want to have to deal with. Where should this be connected to? I don't see any pipes that are plainly obvious or anything to hook it to, and my truck manual isn't helpful either with the limited diagrams on diesels.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: UH OH! \'83 K5 leaking diesel...

the last one is capped- That way it returns all fuel in one direction. I dont know what size is used on our trucks, but I know mercedes sells similiar return hose for pretty cheap. You tell them how long you need it. Conversely, you can just use whatever hose temporarily.

Just check exactly where it is leaking from.

3. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the last one is capped- That way it returns all fuel in one direction. I dont know what size is used on our trucks, but I know mercedes sells similiar return hose for pretty cheap. You tell them how long you need it. Conversely, you can just use whatever hose temporarily.

Just check exactly where it is leaking from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is correct - or maybe you misinterpreted what I had to say - on the rear DS injector, there is only one exit fitting for the small fuel return line, and on all the other 3 on that side and frontmost 3 on the PS side, they all have 2 small fittings for little return hose. The last one on the PS side, furthest towards the firewall, has a fitting that is leaking diesel all over while the truck is running, and I'm wondering where this should connect to in order to return fuel to wherever it belongs. If it is indeed fuel return lines I can't imagine it should be completely sealed or it will just blow any cap on the last PS injector off...right?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last one is just capped. There isn't much of any pressure on those return lines so nothing is going to blow off. Having one end capped is what directs the fuel return. As long as one end of that series of little hoses goes back to tank it works just fine.

GM also sells that return line stuff...but it's kinda spendy for what it is.

Rene

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

mercedes sells it for like 1-2 dollars a foot. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif GM wanted like 10 bucks a fooT!

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The last injector on each side of the engine closest to the firewall have the fuel return lines capped. What you are looking at is probably the remnants of the cap, with the top missing. They do wear out over time. The two rear injectors do have two small fittings, just like the rest. Only one is used for the return line, the other fitting is capped.

Each injector passes excess fuel from one injector to the next. The rear injectors pass it to the next one in line, which passes it the next one in line, all the way to the front of the engine, where there is a longer hose that connects each bank of injectors to a main steel fuel return line that crosses over the top of the engine. The return line from the injection pump also connects into this line. The steel line passes down the passenger side of the engine and hooks to the steel line going all the way back to the fuel tank.

So, the last injectors on each side are on the end of the return line, that's why they're capped. Just pry off the old remaining caps and install new ones.

Return line leaks are very common.

Casey