Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uh oh... brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 11, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

ehh... ive been noticing a "smell"
    Well tonight after driving home... i found that my front passenger brake was GLOWING RED from heat!!!! Aaah! The caliper was sticking but not anymore... did I fry the brakes or something?

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a caliper or piston was or is stuck. Sounds like time for a brake job. if you have to replace the front caliper replace both of them and look at the brake hoses. Sometimes they get a bad spot in them that causes a one way check valve. Pressure will go in but will not release. If your rotor got that hot chances your grease seal on the inner bearing is also cooked. so go all out and do a brake job and inspect the wheel bearings. Might as well repack them while your in there. Don't forget the spindle bearing. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Damnit, i knew i shoulda replaced the calipers back when it was first sticking... that would explain why it kept wanting to pull righteven wile driving... i thought it was the alignment! d'oh!
    Well thanks much for the reply,
    dC

4. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Glowing red?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Dang, that's sorta like NASCAR, their brakes glow red everytinme they go around a corner. Hope you get it straightened out, though.

Will

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Nascar eh? I guess my truck is just that fast. Yea right /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif