Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh oh... D44 problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Sep 30, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well i seem to of made a mistake. i was taking apart the hub to get the axel out.. still am trying to take it a part, i got the 4flanged tool, , took out the first big C clip, took out that part.. then behind it the big washer u have to use the special tool to get off.. i got that off no problem. Then i saw behind it this washer w/ a bunch of lil holes drilled in it all around and 4 lil square's coming off of it.. i couldnt figure out how to get it off so i used that special 4 pronged tool again to see if it would move a lil and i ended up snaping off a lil piece and it came out... i feel retarded. Sorry i dont have pictures my digital camera has no batteries, i know that would make this a lot eaiser. Does anyone have a blown up diagram for a Dana 44, or instructions on how the heck to get it all apart to get the damn axel out? thanks Mike

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The thing you're talking about should be a washer if it's put together the same as a 60. Take a small needle nose and put one jaw in a hole, the other on the outside rim and just pull backward and work it off. There should be another nut under the washer just like the first one you took off.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

that washer with the holes drilled in it is a lock plate for the wheel bearing nuts. it pulls straight off. you either broke the tab for the spindle or most likly broke the little pin that is on the inner nut. sounds like you will need a new inner nut and lock plate. any worthy autoparts store will have then/can get them. i know ive seen them in the book at my local car quest.

after that plate is out there is another nut like the first one, take that off and pull the hub assembly off. then you have the backing plate and the spindle left to take off to take an axle out.

4. stockk5

yeah haha wish i knew this b4.. cuz now there is a piece snaped off of it... and that lock nut thing under the washer i can back it out to where the disc starts loosening up like it will come off.. but then when i keep turning it to come off it just tightens up again.. :confused:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

any dana 44 or corp 10 bolt nut and lock plate will work if it looks the same. junk yard time buddy.

6. stockk5

the other nut like the first one i tried to get off.. it starts to loosen and then tightens up again.. i know its starting to loosen cuz once i get to the point of where the the nut wont move anymore the rotor is wobbling around. wish i could just use a camera! ill get some pics tonight.. thanks though!

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you may have screwed up the threads when you took the nut socket to the lock plate. the damage is done, just loosen it up and when it gets tighter just keep going. i usually take and impact to mine when i take them off, quick and easy.

you may not need a spindle, but i almost garantee that you need the nuts.

8. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Yeah, when U go to the 'yard I would get:
    1) spindle nuts
    2) washer with all the holes (lock ring)
    3) spindle

U may not need the spindle, but I would rather have it on hand and not need it than not be able to re-ass. the thing B/C U do and don't have it :doah: