Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh oh.. hub leakage!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So I drove all the way down to uwharrie national park in NC... but after a day of wheeling , I noticed leakage out of one of my front hubs. I know this aint normal... whats going on???

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

leakage, how so? You had grease coming out, is that what you mean?

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

It aint grease. Its diff fluid.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

ummm, I'm confused /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, how is it that you have diff fluid leaking out of your front hubs? As I understand it, the hubs are independant from the rest of the axle. Is it leaking around the knuckles where the axle shaft u-joint is? You should see leakage there if diff fluid is leaking. Unless you are running a closed knuckle axle or something different than stock.

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Its probally a axle seal.
    Colin

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont know. But now that you mention it, the hubs should be independent of the axle.. *scratches head*
    Guess I shoulda used a finger and smelled it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Assuming that you have internal style locking hubs, remove the outer section of the locking hub and see if the C-clip is still installed on the end of the axle shaft. If that's broken or missing, it will let the hub body move slightly outwards. Then wheel bearing grease can leak out between the locking hub and the wheel hub. There should also be an O-ring on the locking hub where it fits into the wheel hub. If that O-ring is damaged, it can cause leaks also. Look carefully for any water in the wheel bearing grease while you have it apart. If you find any, you'll need to clean out and repack the hubs. Leaving water in there for very long will result in etched bearings and races, which will then fail. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif