Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh-oh. My deal just became a bit supicious

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Feb 26, 2003.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Remember my "deal of a lifetime"? Well, sure as shootin', somehting's up. I'm getting it anyway, but Carfax had something to say I found interesting. Thanks to my best friend 03Redfire Cobra, I got a report on the 90 K3500 I was looking at. The report comes back with "Alert-odometer problems reported to Carfax by DMV". But, the report shows no rollback reported and has readings from 3 instances. I'm a bit confused and maybe thinking the "alert" was because the mileage is so low for an older vehicle. But, it does specifically say "GMC K3500". So to you that wondered about the ifs, the truck is a '90 1 ton, 3rd gen reg cab, long bed K3500 4x4 with ifs. Seems maybe GM was slowly phasing in the ifs here and there.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The solid axle one tons from 88 were V30's not K30's. GM had 2 sets of designations from 88-91 because of the 2 body style's

R= 2 WD old body
    V= 4 WD old body
    C= 2 WD new body
    K= 4 WD new body

Rene

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I bet the odometer is a 5 digit one. Once it hits 100,000 it rolls back to 00000. I had the exactly same warning on mine when I did a check. My mileage was at like 40,000 (really 140,000) miles in 98. My truck being a 86 I guess they thought that was suspecious? It also told me it had flood damage. I owned the truck when it says it had the damage. I think I would remember having a flood! Anyhow, I'm sure it catches some stuff, but if it's as stupid for others like it was for me, I'd have to question how valid anything they point out as questionable to you....

4. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I had the same kind of odometer alert on my '89 Sub V2500 before I bought it. It had rolled over the odometer and was only showing 78000 miles, so I suspect that may be why it gave the odometer alert.

5. dkodyssey

dkodyssey Registered Member

how can i tell if it rolled over all ready?

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

As far as odometer fraud goes, i remember hearing that if the factory odomter is tampered with little orange, like lines come up between the # roller things (tech terms) I dont know if its true or not. I think it was orange, it was either orange or white.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as odometer fraud goes, i remember hearing that if the factory odomter is tampered with little orange, like lines come up between the # roller things (tech terms) I dont know if its true or not. I think it was orange, it was either orange or white.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a very easy way to get around that one, just put a drill on the speedo cable and run it till it goes back to the number you want, no need to crack it and roll it back.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I feel that any report can be only marginally helpfull.
    I only trust my judgement and check the vehicle myself thouroughly, and after I buy, I take what I got.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

As far as odometer fraud goes, I dont recall the mileage on the rig your looking at but look at the pedals. A truck w/ 40,000 will have next to no wear on the pedals when compared to one w/ 140,000. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also an old wives tale is that after 100,000 the nubers on the odo will be a bit crooked and not lined up nice. I am a touch skeptical of that one tho. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as odometer fraud goes, I dont recall the mileage on the rig your looking at but look at the pedals. A truck w/ 40,000 will have next to no wear on the pedals when compared to one w/ 140,000. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also an old wives tale is that after 100,000 the nubers on the odo will be a bit crooked and not lined up nice. I am a touch skeptical of that one tho. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The crooked thing comes from tampering with it, but if it rolls over it will line up perfectly.
    I have one 86 that rolled and now is at 39000 and it's looks like it really 39k but I know because I watched it roll.

10. Pure Insanity

See told ya I was skeptical. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

But the pedals, esp. the brake pedal, (and clutch pedal, if a manual) is a sure fire way to tell. Not many people are gonna go so far as to change out the covers.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

covers- HA mine dont even have them..

when I bought mine the odometer said 50 something- (had already rolled once)...then I swapped dashes- and it was down to 40 something...now its back up around 70 something...haven't a clue just how many miles are actually on the thing- but am thinking closer to 200K....

could also sit in the seat- if someone was in the seat for 40K vs 140K, there's bound to be a difference in the feel of the seat...plus- most people drive with there hands on the steering wheel at the same place all the time- my suburban had wear at the 1:00 cause when I drive my wrist rest there...and that was only after 3 years..close to 55K..

Brandy

12. Pure Insanity

More good clues. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Only glitch to the seat one is the guy that originally had my Blazer must have been a BIIIG dude. My drivers seat bottom is worn funny and wide. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I know the last 2 owners and they cover the last 10 yrs or so and the 1st one bought it from the orig owner. So that makes me the 4th owner I guess. LOL!

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the last reading taken for my truck was written as 76000 miles. I am somewhat certain it is actually 176,000. The amount of rust, seat, carpet, pedal, and engine wear makes me think so. I could be wrong and if I go to sell it I might just go by what mileage is on the title.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Firts off, odometers will not turn backwards. If you did want to run it with a drill you would be there for a long time trying to change mileage. There are 1000 cable turns to make the odometer change 1 mile, now do the math as to what mileage you want and figure how many rpm's your drill will go then you will see that you would be there a very long time trying to change the mileage back, and remember the odometer will not turn backwards so you would have to go all the way around and then some to achieve what you want.

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I rolled 30K miles off an 89 Tbird Super Coupe by turning the odometer backwards...it was worth an extra $1500 when I sold it...Murray, Ky is the used car capital of the US (300 registered dealers in a town of about 12K)...some of us made extra money in college by pulling and rolling odometers at $20 a pop (lotta money in those days)...slightly used pedal pads were pulled from wrecks and used on high mileage worn cars...interiors were pulled and cleaned, vinyl tops added to hide rust, front ends "nosed and lapped" (painted), wrecks cut in half and rewelded together...all the cars were then sold at auction in Chicago or Atlanta...it's still a very big business in that town.....JD

16. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't really trust Carfax worth a crap!
    We sold my grandfather's 99 S10 to a friend after my grandfaher couldn't drive anymore. The thing was fully documented by the dealer with 11,000 miles. One transaction for an oil change, the dealer made a typo and it suddenly had 111,000 miles. The same dealer would not take the truck after they ran the carfax report that had odometer fraud on it. It took a month for Carfax to correct the problem even after the dealer acknowledged it was their fault.

17. Pure Insanity

My brother has kept impeccable records of his WRX since he bought it new and we change the oil at dads shop every few weeks it seems. He keeps a log of it all w/ the company stamp and signed in the owners manual. For grins my dad added a 1 (as in makes it 100,000) to the mileage in the log book to see if he noticed. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif My brother almost lost his mind when he seen it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Dad corrected it, but it was funny as hell to watch my brothers face when my he seen it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And I dont trust Carfax either. According to the print out I got on my Blazer, it had exceeded mechanical limits a LOOONG time ago, but hasnt even rolled over yet. Its still under 90K. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I think they must have went off the yr and not the documented mileage on the titles. I can account for the last 10 yrs or so (actually more since Ive had PI for 3-4 yrs now, so almost 15 yrs really) between me and the last 2 owners that I know, and the mileage on the title transfers all go up, never back around.

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Firts off, odometers will not turn backwards. If you did want to run it with a drill you would be there for a long time trying to change mileage. There are 1000 cable turns to make the odometer change 1 mile, now do the math as to what mileage you want and figure how many rpm's your drill will go then you will see that you would be there a very long time trying to change the mileage back, and remember the odometer will not turn backwards so you would have to go all the way around and then some to achieve what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to tell me that, I know they don't roll back.
    When you have a 99k and you want it to be a 40k, you will have to turn it 40000 miles right well with my 3600RPM drill it will take a minute for each 3.6 miles so it will take a week /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I just chose the 40k because it could be a reasonable milage as opposed to lets say 10k.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    With the newer vehicles it's much easier, you just reprogram the chip, and it takes about 3 minutes.
    I have a friend that did that as a business.