Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh Oh....My Engine headed for the promsed land?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BJarvis354, Jul 20, 2002.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Hey Guys, here is the deal. I got this 89 Blazer a couple of months ago, and I did not notice this until I had it a couple of days, but blue smoke is coming out of my tailpipes intermittently /forums/images/icons/blush.gif (puffs for awhile when it is cold, then usually stops). The engine feels very strong and sounds good (no ticking, detonation, etc.)

I have been nursing it with STP smoke treament and that seems to help, I seem to have good oil pressure ~35 to 45 psi. I had alot of trouble getting it to pass emissions for NYC, but it finally did. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif So I figure I got a year to save up for a rebuild, am I over reacting? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif My brother says I should run it till I throw a rod or something, but I hate that idea. I figure a professional rebuild is gonna be cheaper than a crate motor. Any suggestions? Anybody know a good Motor shop in NY metro area that isn't too expensive?

Brady

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your valve guide seals are pooping out on you...no worries... mines does it too, usually when it is cold or it has been sitting a while...You can replace the seals (pretty easy) or do what I am doing and get Vortec heads and a new intake and the new has will have....?You guessed it, new valve guide seals...I think a set of umbrella-type seals is about $15 for the Fel-Pro ones...If it smokes A LOT, I wouldn't let it go too long as you might gum up some other stuff like your pistons and rings and foul more plugs than usual on acount of the excess amount of oil in the cylinder...Oh, you can replace the seal with the cylinder head still on the engine...just shove some rope in the spark plug hole so the valve doesn't fall into the cylinder...

Chris

3. BJarvis354

Thanks for the advice! I checked out the Vortec heads, and think I am gonna keep that in mind for my rebuild, since I can't afford the ~$500 for the parts right now. Instead, I think I am going to take a crack at replacing the Valve Seals with new Mushroom Vitron seals.

I gather the specialty tools I need are a spring compressor, some nylon rope, crow bar (for turning the crankshaft?), the new seals, and a six pack. Anything else?

Brady

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

A better idea than the rope is a special air fitting that connects to the spark plug hole and keeps air pressure on the combustion chamber to prevent the valve from dropping. You need an air source for this. Ask about it at your parts store.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yea, I second the air to hold up the valve...I have just used the rope and it work just fine for me /forums/images/icons/grin.gif but if you want eh air deal, do it...

Chris

6. BJarvis354

Yeah, the air sounds spiffier, but that could be a problem. I got no garage see, and I would have to borrow an air compressor from someone....Or maybe that is a good excuse for on-board air!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Brady

7. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

all you need is a portable air tank and the correct fitting. pump it up and your good to go .