Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uh-oh service engine light

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by downtime2nite, Feb 14, 2003.

1. downtime2nite

downtime2nite Registered Member

well, started the burbon up this morning and I immeadiatly knew sumpthin was wrong. she didnt go into fast idle mode, I looked down and the "service engine soon" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif light was staying on. drove very poorly{limp home mode} went a few blocks and it was already warming up, way too soon,pulled over and yup, the headers were glowing. anybody have any ideas where to start? any help appreciated, thanks

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Start by "asking" the ECM whats wrong. Theres a plug on the bottom of your dash, that's the data link connector. Turn the key to the run position with the engine off and jump Terminals A and B in this picture
    http://community.webshots.com/image5/3/49/21/60834921oQTvGs_ph.jpg

Count how many times your check engine light flashes before the pause and after it. At first you will get code 12 (flash once, pause, flash twice) this code will flash 3 times. This means the computer is in diagnostic mode. Any other codes will flash after that. Once you know what codes are stored in the ECM, post back here to see what to do next

3. downtime2nite

downtime2nite Registered Member

got a code 42, I do believe its just the ignition module, at least Ihope it is!

4. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem but it wasnt the ignition module it was the ECM /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif