Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh Oh! Wheel stud broke off!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bought a new set of lug nuts and I installed everyone of them but on the very last one the wheel stud snapped clean off. :mad: Its on my front 10bolt passenger side. I never actually tore down a hub assybly before so how hard is it to do? Also is it safe to just do some street driving on only 5lugs on that side till I can fix it or have someone else fix it?

Also How do you get to the wheel studs on the thing?

2. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

The studs need to be hammered or pressed out, then pressed back in (preferably by a vice/press, but washers and a breaker bar have been used before :wink1: )

When I snapped a lug on my rear axle, I hammered them out, and pressed them back in with a homemade vice extention contraption...if you snapped it clean off, you'll probably have to remove the spindle to get it out though.

Tearing down/rebuilding the hub assembly isn't a huge undertaking. I've had numerous problems with my front bearings, so I've got the whole task down to less than half an hour. If anything's damaged in there, or they've never been apart before, you may run in to a few snags.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I would replace all studs while you were at it, at least all the ones on the front. I dont have to worry cause I upgraded to 9/16.Those big lug nuts look good on my 6 lug rims.

4. TheSunDanceKid

TheSunDanceKid Registered Member

i know discount tire does it or at least the one by my house my buddy has this 89accord and went to have the tires changed out and they snaped like 2 studds off and replaced them in like an hour