Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uh oh!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walrus101, Apr 29, 2000.

1. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

this morning i had to go to a meeting , and when i was leaving it happened. it didn't want to start. it did not even turn over. after about three tries it started right up. it smoked all the way home. after i arrived i checked the smoke - grey. i checked the oil (recent change about a week ago). it was a cream coler. this just happened today; nothing leading up to this. grey smoke is probaly the rings, right? and the cream oil is water in the engine, right? the only way water could have gotten into the engine is from the radiator. i have not driven in rain or water. i don't know where to start i need input, please!!! this is my driver; my wife doesn't know about this yet.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

2. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Water gets in there from the water jackets in the heads. A fun job, but not fatal!

Blazin' in Flagstaff

3. walrus101

would this account for the grey smoke?

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Water in the oil or combustion chamber usually puts out a whitish smoke, but gray is not unusual. Try not to drive much further with it. Your lubrication has been reduced with the water in there.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>This happened to me last month and it turned out to be an intake manifold gasket. i had all the same symptoms exept the smoke</font color=blue>

6. walrus101

thanks guys, i am on my way to get the gaskets. now if anyone wants to put them in for me, i am open.
    hehehe.

thanks again

walrus101

goo goo gaju

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If you want to bring it to Ohio , I would be glad to help...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

8. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Head gaskets is not THAT hard to change. The downer is you will have to take the intake manifold off....(*thinking*) and the exhaust manifolds too. More gaskets are needed, so to speak (intake & exhaust). The head bolts can be a b*tch to get loose. Do 50 pushups for 3 weeks before you have a go at it[​IMG]

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

9. BamaGal

BamaGal Registered Member

Yep. Same thing, same symptoms, my husband just pulled the engine in my 88 Blazer and replaced all the gaskets two weeks ago. It was a blown head gasket, thank goodness not a cracked block.
    Make sure you clean every thing. I spent the day cleaning rocker arms and lifters in solvent as my husband handed them to me. (Hey - it's my Blazer, I should help where I can!) He took off the oil pan too and cleaned the oil/water out of there.

She's running better than when we bought her, but in the process we discovered at some point in her past she had thrown a rod, and the valves on one side had been replaced... why only one side we don't know.

Good Luck!

SF