Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uh oh

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 68MUDSTUD, Aug 6, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok guys, i just got home from going to get an apartment, with mtchevy and 66chev, we're roomin together in college, and i noticed something in my mouth. its a white sore. i do chew copenhagen long cut, and i was wondering what you think i should do. i think ill probly go into town tomorrow and have them test me. BUT, i REFUSE to have any medical treatment done, at least until i get out of wyotech. that is, if i do have mouth cancer.

Does anyone else ever get these sores like this, its just really little, in the back of my mouth. i quit chewing as of right now. ive had enough of it anyway. well, any comment would help, thanks in advance.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:eek1: :p: :wink1: :o :doah: :crazy: :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/mouth_sores.htm
    Or..........
    Definition Return to top
    Various types of sores can appear anywhere within the mouth, including the inner cheeks, gums, tongue, lips, or palate.
    Common Causes Return to top
    Most mouth sores are cold sores (also called fever blisters), canker sores, or a mechanical irritation caused by:
    • Biting your cheek, tongue, or lip
    • Chewing tobacco
    • Braces
    • A sharp or broken tooth or poorly fitting dentures
    • Burning your mouth from hot food or drinks
    Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus and are very contagious. Usually, you have tenderness, tingling, or burning before the actual sore appears. Herpes sores begin as blisters and then crust over.
    The herpes virus can reside in your body for years, appearing as a mouth sore only when something provokes it. Such circumstances may include another illness, especially if there is a fever, stress, hormonal changes (like menstruation), and sun exposure.
    Canker sores are NOT contagious and can appear as a single pale or yellow ulcer with a red outer ring, or as a cluster of such lesions. The cause of canker sores is not entirely clear, but may be related to:
    • A virus
    • A temporary weakness in your immune system (for example, from cold or flu)
    • Hormonal changes
    • Mechanical irritation
    • Stress
    • Low levels of vitamin B-12 or folate
    For unknown reasons, women seem to get canker sores more often than men. This may be related to hormonal changes.
    Less commonly, mouth sores can be a sign of an underlying illness, tumor, or reaction to a medication. Such potential illnesses can be grouped into several broad categories:
    Drugs that might cause mouth sores include chemotherapeutic agents for cancer, aspirin, barbiturates (used for insomnia), gold (used for rheumatoid arthritis), penicillin, phenytoin (used for seizures), streptomycin, or sulfonamides.
    Home Care Return to top
    Mouth sores generally last 10 to 14 days, even if you don't do anything. They sometimes last up to 6 weeks. The following steps can make you feel better:
    • Gargle with cool water or eat popsicles. This is particularly helpful if you have a mouth burn.
    • Avoid hot beverages and foods, spicy and salty foods, and citrus.
    • Take pain relievers like acetaminophen.
    For canker sores:
    • Rinse with salt water.
    • Apply a thin paste of baking soda and water.
    • Mix 1 part hydrogen peroxide with 1 part water and apply this mixture to the lesions using a cotton swab.
    Nonprescription preparations, like Orabase, can protect a sore inside the lip and on the gums. Blistex or Campho-Phenique may provide some relief of canker sores and fever blisters, especially if applied when the sore initially appears.
    Additional steps that may help cold sores or fever blisters:
    • Apply ice to the lesion.
    • Take L-lysine tablets.
    Anti-viral medications for herpes lesions of the mouth may be recommended by your doctor. Some experts feel that they shorten the time that the blisters are present, while others claim that these drugs make no difference.
    Call your health care provider if Return to top
    Call your doctor if:
    • The sore begins soon after you start a new medication
    • You have large white patches on the roof of your mouth or your tongue (this may be thrush or another type of lesion)
    • Your mouth sore lasts longer than 2 weeks
    • You are immunocompromised (for example, from HIV or cancer)
    • You have other symptoms like fever, skin rash, drooling, or difficulty swallowing
    What to expect at your health care provider's office Return to top
    Your doctor will perform a physical examination, focusing on your mouth and tongue. Medical history questions may include the following:
    • Are the sores on your lips, gums, tongue, lining of your cheeks, or elsewhere?
    • Are the sores open ulcers?
    • Are there large, white patches on the roof of the mouth or on your tongue?
    • How long have you had the mouth sores? More than 2 weeks?
    • Have you ever had sores of this type before?
    • What medications do you take?
    • Do you have other symptoms like fever, sore throat, or breath odor?
    Treatment may depend on the underlying cause of the mouth sore.
    A topical anesthetic (applied to a localized area of the skin) such as lidocaine or xylocaine may be used to relieve pain (but should be avoided in children). An antifungal medication may be prescribed for oral thrush (a yeast infection). An anti-viral medication may be prescribed for herpes lesions (although, some feel that this does not shorten the length of time that the lesions are present), and antibiotics may be prescribed for severe or persistent canker sores.
    Prevention Return to top
    You can reduce your chance of getting common mouth sores by:
    • Reducing stress. Practice relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation.
    • Avoiding very hot foods or beverages.
    To avoid mechanical irritation, also:
    • See your dentist promptly for a sharp or broken tooth or misfitting dentures.
    • Chew slowly.
    • Use a soft-bristle toothbrush.
    If you seem to get canker sores often, talk to your doctor about taking folate and vitamin B12 to prevent outbreaks.
    If you get cold sores often, taking L-lysine tablets or increasing lysine in your diet (found in fish, chicken, eggs, and potatoes) may reduce outbreaks. However, if you have high cholesterol, heart disease, or high triglycerides, DO NOT use L-lysine.
    To prevent the spread of herpes sores, do not kiss or have oral sex with someone with a cold sore or fever blister. Do not participate in these activities when you have an active cold sore. Do not share razors, lip balm, toothbrushes, or lipsticks.
    To prevent cancerous mouth lesions:
    • Do not smoke or use tobacco.
    • Limit alcohol to 2 drinks per day.
    • Wear a wide-brimmed hat to shade your lips. Wear a lip balm with SPF 15 at all times.
    References Return to top
    Mandell GL, Bennett JE, Dolin R. Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 5th ed. London, UK: Churchill Livingstone, Inc.; 2000.
    Yeung-Yue KA. Herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2. Dermatol Clin. 2002; 20(2): 249-266.
    MacDonald J. Canker sore remedies: baking soda. CMAJ. 2002; 166(7): 884.

Update Date: 7/29/2005

4. 68MUDSTUD

SERIOUSLY!!!! Come one! this is my life we're talking about!!!!!! Just kiddin, that kinda actually cheered me up a little dontoe

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You'll be fine. Now go grab another pinch of worm sh!t.

6. 68MUDSTUD

nope. i quit. for good. i threw away 3 unopened cans, i opened them, dumped them out into the feild behind my house, and threw the cans in the trash. no more cope for me, i figure, even if this white sore isnt cancerous, i might as well quit now, itll be easier now then 10 years down the road.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well, since you asked... refusal of medical treatment for something so serious...

you're ****ING STUPID. :screwy:

but yeah, definitely get it checked out.

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

kudos to you

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a friend of mine at 16yrs old had cancer removed from his mouth from chewing cope... it was a little white sore like you described.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Go to the Doctor and do WHAT THEY WANT!!! There is one REALLY good reason to do it NOW, your parents insurance. Very shortly after you graduate school you are going to lose your parents insurance. Having a cancerous lump removed and having to pay out of pocket... yea not so good.

11. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

well since you refuse any medical treatment...how much you want for your blazer?

12. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

goodjob on quitting.. hope it stays that way.. that **** is so gross

13. 68MUDSTUD

uhhhhh all i know is its always going to stay in my family. sorry. the only reason i refuse to have treatment done is because NOTHING is stopping me from going to wyotech.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yeah, i wouldnt risk being down because of my jaw falling off to go to school either. :screwy:

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

You know that you do have insurance through the school right? Talk to someone in the office, they'll tell you which dr. to call, even though it is a pediatrician that they send you to. :doah: Kinda blew me away the first time I went in. Was wondering if they were trying to tell me something. :haha: :haha:

16. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what good will wyotech do you if your sick or dead???? got get it checked and DO what the doc tells you to do.it could be something minor or it could be serios.but you wont know unless you see a doc and then follow up with wthat they say to do.

17. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i think death can stop you:confused: trust me its better to get it done now then waiting and having half of your jaw sergically(sp?) removed

18. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Dude, don't f*ck around with cancer. When my wife was 20 years old, she had a "pesky cough" that got slowly worse. I took her into the doctor to get her checked for pneumonia when it didn't go away after a few months and it turned out to be a football-sized Hodgkin's tumor in her chest that was collapsing her lungs. The doc's said she was less than 3 weeks from suffocating to death. $120,000 (thank GOD for insurance) and months of chemo and radiation saved her life. How many of you would have thought a simple cough was life-threatening cancer?

Go to the doctor and get it checked out TODAY!

Wyotech will be there next year and the year after, and the year after that, but it won't do you a damn bit of good if you're dead.

19. 68MUDSTUD

ok... now if only i can trust my K5 to get me there. ill go in tomorrow and get it checked out. thanks guys, sorry to hear about everyone else's stories.

20. 68MUDSTUD

wsheeew.. its only a COLD SORE!!!! man, i was stressin over it big time. the doc just laughed at me when i told him that.:D :bow: :D