Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UH OH!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Dec 5, 2002.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Well i was flipping through some off road mags today during school and i noticed something. 4 wheel offroad gave honorable mention to the 80-96 ford F-150 and broncos as a good beater to build up on a budget. Well the thing is, we have an 82 F-150 sitting in the back yard. It has a 9" rear a 3speed manual tranny (4 counting the underdrive), the 300ci straight six, and of course 4 wheel drive. So is it treason to consider building this thing up?

2. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I think if everone did half of what most those mags recommend, we all would be driving around in chromed out Jeeps /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. did u read the last issue where they screwed up the 14 bolt rear?, they said its only application is semi-floater...

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

No harm in that, I want to buy a Suzuki Samurai...

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

If you have the money and the time, go for it. I have a 78 bronco in the back yard waiting for me to build my shop.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I don't know how they could concider any of the Ford's built from 80 up cheap to upgrade. That front suspension cost MAJOR bucks to lift and those axles are notorious for blowing up parts with even 33's. Only fix is to scrap the front axle.
    80 down solid axle fords were good trucks and every bit as solid as the K5's. I don't care for the 9 inch in a off road vehicle though. when you slide the truck sideways into stuff it blows out the bearing races and the broken parts cut the wheel seal out.

7. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Sawzall------>Boggers--------->Helmet-------->Seatbelt----------> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i priced the first stage of the build up for the ford...
    6"lift, 15" black steel wheels, and 35"boggers and it totals$1500.
    I figure this should give me a perty good truck for thrashing.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that sounds cool..i have..even though im a GM guy...have a thing for the late 70's fords..best biult ever buy ford in my opinion..and the styling is also great! may get me one some day...when i have money to play around with!!..thatll be the day.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif my shop teacher has a really nice 4x4 78 f-150..sharp truck!!

10. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yeah i have been looking at it and i think im going to strip it down and make it a strict wheelin truck. That way i dont have to worry about all the vacume lines and sh!t under the hood becouse i wont have to pass emisions, then it should run well enough to give my friend allan and his chevys a hard time. I can see it now "so allan you would have rather been pulled out by my luv eh." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

why not build it? beat the SH!T out of it. i want a samuri too kinda. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yay! i got the go ahead from my dad today, tomarow it ges into the shop! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif