Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uh oh........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Jan 23, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Oh man I really did it this time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif First, look at these

Ok, so Im playing around at pismo today... and I find a cool little bank next to the creek. I approached it head on and slowly starting acending the incline. I gave it a tap of the gas, and my truck literally jumped a few feet off the ground at the top of the bank. The center of my truck came down and smashed the top of it. I backed off, looked under, and noticed my transfer case crossmember had tweaked both frame rails up a little (especially on the right, as you can see in the pics). Argh! My tcase is higher now, and on the way back I was getting driveline vibration from the increased angle. Any suggestions on how to get this back?? Maybe without dropping the tranny, please?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

A really small hydraulic bottle jack? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can't see fitting the floor jack in there, but a hydraulic something would spread them back out nice.

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

That's weak man, I once got my truck 5 feet off the ground out there and nothing like that happened. Anyways, I'd try using a porta-power first, trying to open the frame up, if that doesn't work, you'll have to unbolt the crossmember and try it then. Heat may need to be applied to assit it. Either way, once you get it straight, you better weld in some reienforcing plates, because it has moved once and is weak, it'll do it again. Hope to see you out at Pismo sometime, my truck has DREAM ON on the window. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

You should be able to bend it back with a pipe wrench. If you can't, consider dropping 2 bolts at a time, supporting the tranny and then bending it back. If you still can't, ask your girlfriend to help.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If you can find some kind of anchor in the ground...I've seen D-rings cemented into the floor at body shops...you could get a come along and wincg it back...maybe some RR tracks that dont have trains on them anymore...

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Porta power is one option, but you'll have to get stuff out of the way to use that. Be careful, you could damage the top, should probably use a piece of heavy bar stock to distribute the load (especially on the top). Maybe a big pipe wrench would give enough leverage, just make sure to seat the jaws fully to bend it at the right place. If you've got access to a strong floor mount, you could chain down the ends of the cross member, then jack up on the frame near the bend. Again, spread the load so that the vertical section of frame takes most of it. Might also be good to jack on both sides of the bend.

One more thought. Got some threaded rod the same size as the bolts? Drop the xmember, then take a piece of 2" x 1/4" angle (or maybe channel) and drill a couple of holes in it to match the 2 holes in the frame. With everything together you'll have the angle against the top of the frame channel (maybe clamped with vice grips) and 2 nuts run up firmly against it (so the rod does not push on the frame, but rather on the angle, and the holes will keep it from slipping). Then, 2 more nuts run DOWN against the lower lip. Cranking the lower nuts would put the lower lip back down into place. Might even want a second piece of angle/channel to spread the force on the bottom. No idea if it would work, but I make odd stuff like this all the time for doing different things...

As for reinforcing, look at the cross member between the front hangers of the rear springs. It has braces that tie into both sides (top and bottom) of the frame channel. That might be a good thing to look into...

7. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is that because your driveshafts are too long? I don't understad what would force your shizznit up rather than down. Possibly more so the front since it bent up more on the right? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Just a suggestion on something to look into. If it is your drive shafts and you re-inforce your frame your gonna start causing some other damage ie; drivelines, t-case, tranny. My $.02

8. K5thatShmobs

Thanks for all the great responses... Maybe I didnt explain what happened well enough. The bends are from the weight of the truck high-centering on the transfer case skid plate area. The truck came down hard on it, and the upward force of the crossmember folded the rails in on each side.

Tommorow Im going to go pick up a huge pipe wrench from an industrial supply place. That should bring it back... hopefully.

9. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I prolly shoulda read it a little more thorough. Sorry bout that.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Not a fix, but make sure you check those frame rails around the crossmember bolts well before you put everything back together. I had my frame crack around the crossmemeber bolts and the crossmemeber broke off and left my trans and tcase dangling by 2 bolts on the other side and hanging halfway out of the truck. This was 50 miles from anywhere AZ. Not fun trying to jack the crossmember back up in place and then having to chain it to the frame to get home.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll just file those pics under "Reasons not to drop the t-case" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

12. K5thatShmobs

Well, I did the best that I could. I bent everything back by heating it up and using a 36" pipe wrench... I made everything a little stronger by welding in a 90 degree 3/16" plate steel piece on each end. Thanks for all the responses again.