Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uh ohhh

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 85burbanator, Jun 5, 2003.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

well, i went wheeling last night since it just got done raining. needless to say there was tons of mud and every thing was really slick. any i was with some friends and it was my buddies first time riding in the burb and going off roading so i figured i would hit the pit me and my buddy are makeing (slowly making that is) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

i get out and lock the hubs and they lock fine, or so im thinking. so i put it in 4lo and i ease it down into the first pit. i start to give it some gas and the second the front drivers side tire gets power it starts to make a wierd grinding noise. i'm thinking [naughty word] i hope it doesnt brake cause we were in about 1 1/2 feet of mud and had another 20' pit thats prolly 2-3" deep with a 2 feet climb at the end ahead of us.

needless to say it did it all they way through the rest of the pit and did it really bad on the little ledge i have to climb up to get out.

it doesnt do it when its on flat ground and locked, only when there is any great amout off force applied to it. and also when i hit the brakes it pulls hard right. i would take it apart and look but i dont have time. ill prolly do it tommorow.
    sorry this was a long run on post but i just had to ask and give the reason why it could be doing this. thanx for your time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    mike

2. 85burbanator

can anybody understand that post? i was kinda tired at the time and know that i read it it kinda doesnt make sense. any ways i was asking what could be the prob. in my frond drivers side hub. im not going to be able to look at it till tomorrow.

3. 85burbanator

well since im only replying to my self i figured i would let myself know that i look at the hubs and they appeared fine but they still make the noise. grrrr /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it's time to pull the cover on your front axle (it might not be the hubs). Are you open or locked in front?

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. 85burbanator

open diff.

6. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif If the hubs are fine, it may be the axle U-joints, or it could be the spider gears in your diff. are getting chewed up - especially if you only hear the sound when one side has less traction. If it was me, I'd pull the hub again, thouroughly inspect, then pull the rotor and inspect the bearings, check the axle U-joints for excessive play, check ball joints, and if the problem hasn't been found, pull the cover on the diff and drain it, and inspect the ring and pinion/spiders. Hope it helps

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. 85burbanator

i was thinking of all that as well. no time till next weekend so i just have to stay on the pavement till then /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thanx for the info jon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    mike