Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uhh oh striped out bolts to the hub

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 14, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well what you you guys do about a striped out bold that holds the locking hub on(the ones on the outside right around the locking hub) 3are off 3 are striped I tryed hammering on a diffent size and syle allen wrench but dident work. oh yea I dont think it matters but its a 10bolt

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i used a drill with a bit just the same size as the head on the bolt.drill it out till the head is gone on the bolts and then pull the cap off and you can take whats left of the bolts out by hand.arebuild kit for warn hubs is 20 bucks at the parts store and it comes with new bolts and o-rings.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Yup... Gotta get out the drill and drill the heads off. I was going to replace mine anyway so it wasnt that big of deal for me. only takes a few seconds and when you pull the hub off, they unscrew pretty easy... I unscrewed mine with my then greasy fingers easily.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I tossed out the cheapie screws that came with my hubs and replaced them with stainless steel screws. I figure those should last forever and it's VERY unlikely that the heads will ever strip out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, I also slip a small O-ring over each screw to keep water from sneaking in past them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I LIKE THE O-RING IDEA
    The only thing I was thinking about stainless is it will be a PAIN to drill out