Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uhh thats no good.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 19, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Tonight i was attempting to take my steering arm off. So i had the truck jacked up and i couldnt get the drag link loose. I had my brother turn the steering wheel back and forth to try to shake everything a lil bit looser after i loosend the bolts so he turned it back and forth really fast and then i saw fluid draining down from my engine. It was steering fluid that all of a sudden came out of the filler cap. It makes no sense, why would it do that?

Also any tips on getting my steering arm loose? I have all the nuts off it and drag link separated from it, but no matter how much i beat on it and heat it up i cant get it to break loose. thanks for any tips!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go to the autoparts store an buy a pickle fork for seperating the knuckles. They only cost about $15.

Harley

3. stockk5

ya i was thinkin that as i was getting my drag link loose, but its already out of the steering knuckle, now i have to fight those three bolts that the steering knuckle is held on by, i have the nuts off the bolts but the knuckle is stuck.

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

it's not abnormal to have P/S fluid pushed out the cap when turning the wheel with the engine off

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A little confusion here. Three nuts hold the steering arm on not the knuckle. Ball joints hold the knuckle on. If it is the steering arm then a pickle fork will not help. You will need a BFH and commence to pounding as they are often stubborn to come loose. Good luck and happy whacking.

6. stockk5

really? is that because the engine helps w/ the pressure's in there?

7. stockk5

oppps sry ya the steering arm is what i mean. Thanks for all the info guys!

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For the steering arm, thread the three nuts down on the studs so they protect the ends of the studs from the hammer. Hit down on the arm and side to side...not upwards.

There are conical washers that act like barb's at the base of the studs. As you hit the knuckle side to side and downwards watch the washers until one begins to move...then use a pick, or needle nose pliers to spin in out. Do that with all three washers and the arm will lift off.

A good 5 lb hammer works best... :D

Rene

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

BFH and a breaker bar after penetrating oil and it will come right off.

10. stockk5

i hate the steering arm w/ a passion. i have beat the living $hit outta it, i put the nuts back on the studs,,and threaded them on and pounded and i only messed up the studs threads a lil bit. You ment hit the studs down right? i think ill have to find a massive torch cuz this is extremely frustrating to be this close to finishing it and i cant.

Also with grinding down the stops on the front drive shaft, you have to unbolt the front drive shaft from the T-case by undoing those 4 bolts where the CV joint is above the t-cases cross member?

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

No don't beat on the studs. Beat the living heck (4-5 lbs sledge) out of the steering arm. Up, down, and sideways. Eventually, the cone washers will start working loose, and then you can get a pick or pliers in there to get the cone washers out, and then the steering arm will come right off.

John