Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uhhh... the jeep done better?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camango, Apr 23, 2002.

1. camango

camango Registered Member

Can anyone tell me why my 88 Jimmy (5.7) can't hold a candle to my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (V8) when it comes to towing my travel trailer?
    Jimmy has a higher tow rating, more horsepower, more torque, and is a LOT BIGGER!
    the jeep towed the trailer like a champ - the Jimmy is towing it like a chump - what gives?

thanks
    -Lou

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The extra weight the Jimmy is hauling around on itself. Your Jimmy probably outweighs you Heep by 800lbs or more.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Grand actually has 20 more hp, is lighter and prolly has better gears.

Rene

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Find the RPO sticker for the Jimmy. It should be in the glove box. Look for a code that starts with the letter G. It's probably got 3.08's or 3.42's in the axles. Not the hot ticket for towing, especially if you've added taller tires. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. camango

jeep has 10 more horsies, 15 less ft/lbs, and weighs 900 lbs less
    not sure of the jeep gear ratio, but it did haul ass, and could cruise at speeds over 80mph easily - so not too low or high
    my jimmy must have the 3.42s - blimey - how much will it cost to change to 3.73s?
    thanks

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here are the RPO codes:

GU4 - 3.08
    GU6- 3.42
    GT4(or 5X1)- 3.73
    GT8(or GT5)- 4.10
    G80- Gov-Loc

7. camango

there's a GU6 and a G80 - how do i know what i gots?

thanks

8. camango

3.42s - $h1t - so what's the GT4s gon cost me?

thanks for all the info

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i got a 12 bolt with 3.73 in it. 200 and its yours.
    better than buying a new r/p for your 10 bolt. or you could buy a 14 bolt and help your towing needs out and put disk brakes on it.
    grant

10. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Your grand cherokee has your blazer beat on the power to weight ratio which is why it feel like its pulling better. Also, it probably has steeper gears. On the other hand, your blazer is heavier and has a stronger frame and is therfore more stable for pulling a heavy load. It will probably stop better too. Sometimes when people try to stop fast with a load and a light vehicle the weight will transfer up on the hitch and just about lift the back wheels off the ground. Oh, and it can handle alot more tounge weight too.

Sparky

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

not to piss in your cheerios or anything but I wouldnt spend too much money going from 3.42 to 3.73.. thats barely a couple hundred rpm difference at 65mph. I mean if you get a great deal on an axle with 3.73's then try it out but if you're gonna spend money on gears & carrier & installation, go with at least 4.10.. what size tire does your blazer have?

mike

12. camango

got 31's on there now

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Remember also, you are comparing an 88 with a 97 vehicle. A LOT has changed in 10 years.

Ken H.

14. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

" not to piss in yor cheerios"

haha thats funny!
    has brightened up my day

15. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i got a 3.73 ring and pinion from a 10 bolt laying around...make me an offer if you want it

Later

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Like others have said, if your gonna change gear ratios, jump at least 2 steps. If you only need one step, you probably don't need the gear change and it will never "pay off" in any noticeable way. The difference is just not enough to matter.

As for swapping the R/P. I also have to agree with finding a 12 bolt/Dana 44 combo with the gears you want. The 12 bolt rear will be stronger than the 10 bolt. Swapping axles is easy and cheap, swapping 2 r&p is not. And you can sell your 10 bolt pair to recoup some of the cost. If you happen to find a matched 10 and 12 bolt that's fine too. 10 bolt and Dana 44 are almost exactly the same strength wise. However, if they are under the same donor vehicle you are very unlikely to find a 10 bolt with a 12 bolt. Only problem is, 4.10 gears are not very common in 1/2 ton running gear. Might get lucky and find a light duty 3/4 ton with a 14 bolt semi-float rear that is geared 4.10 and has 6 lug axles, they are out there. Or even go full 3/4 ton with 8 lug if that makes sense for you. Then you get the better brakes and a full float rear axle too.

17. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

If you're thinking of regearing you should go with 410's why spend all the money to like the other guys said if you're going to 373's it's not worth it you wont feel that much of a difference go with 410's and you will feel the difference, I did I went to 410's and they're great.