Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uhhhmm i just looked at a 76 C20 and its got utility bed on it and its SWB

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 15, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know of a 76 C20 truck here, and it has an older knapheide utility bed setup on it and its got 14 bolt FF and 8 lug front suspension and its got 20 badges and everything and it is short 6 foot bed wheel base and i inspected the frame rails and they are not cut or welded or modified in any way at all anywhere, i could not get into the lgovebox to see if it was original with a pickup bed or if its original chassis-cab model. oh and its regular normal conventional cab truck,

this is odd.

is it a one-off unique model or something ?

hmm..

how could such exist ?

on a side note the guy who has it just got it and it needs a few things like tranny front seal and a carb and such, he told me today that he is not going to put much into it and that he might be ending up haulikng it to peoria scrap one way trip, and i was like no before yuo take it there tell m,e and ill figure out something with you,

i need to sell the caprice asap so i can get it when he gets tired of looking at it and decided to rid of it, i could get it cheap i bet, a carb and front seal are easy fixes, dang., this is how alot of trucks get wasted, cuz ppl are lazy or dont care or both

anyone want a rleiable running 83 caprice for good deal? all it needs is stock replacement exhaust pipe! original 305 4bbl LG4 engine and 700r4, runs great no problems drive anywhere and trust it to get you there, does need paint work it is light blue i only have one good pic

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

must be that rare ?

haha

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's been converted. The factory would never make a 3/4 ton shortbox.

4. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

sure you're not looking hard enough? There was never a short wheelbase 3/4 ton and I dont see why knapehide would make a short utility box and why someone would buy one. I use to have a flatbed on my truck and everybody thought it was a shortbox.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the frames just not been cut or anything, its all same smooth from front ot back no cuts or welds or anything

crazy,,

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My crewcab has a short utility box also. (And matching shortened wheelbase /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Logging Companies seem to like them. They just need room for a Tidy-Tank and a couple of chainsaws.

The VIN will dictate if it started as a 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton, or even cab & chassis. Also see if the VIN on the frame rail matches the cab.

Cab & Chassis trucks will also have a "C&C" sticker on the driver's door edge (if its the original door).

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its funny how the cab and chassis is 3/4 ton matching but that the wheelbase is shortbed

ill have to check door aand see if has the sticker or not, my 76 1 ton dually 10 foot bed truck didnt have one, ive never heard of such a thing, hmm...

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Re: uhhhmm i just looked at a 76 C20 and its got utility bed on it and its

The frame could have been swapped. Imagine a 3/4-ton that had been whacked hard enough (say front-end) to bend the frame. To fix the truck he happened on a rotted-out 1/2-ton SWB w/utility box, and made one truck out of two. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The "C&C" sticker might have started in the 80's. The only C&C's I've seen lately are a couple of 86, and 87 LWB flatdecks, and my '91 crewcab.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i dotn know why anyone would go through as much trouble as to swap entire frame from a 1/2 ton after stripping it of its 1/2 ton steering and axle and then put the 3/4 ton all on it and then swap entire body over also, especially with an old ruted beater work truck like this 76 is, the truck is worth about 200 bucks in shape its in and with it not running,

doesnt seem logical at all

there is something else going on here, but i dunno what, wish i could find vin code on it, there is none, but i cant get into the glovebox cuz its got broken lock on it,.

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

GM , Ford and Dodge made a lot of chassis for special purpose customers ( military , oil compnay's , airports , huge industrial plants and so on ) and they spec'd them with odd ball wheel bases for certain needs.
    Go to a very large airport and will see EXTREMELY short F-350's that are nothing but tugs that never leave the grounds. Some times these are converted chassis by a special custom company or if the order is large enough one of the big three will offer a special chassis right from the factory and avoid the middle conversion company .
    Hope this helps . Tom

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah i figured that this one at least went through a conversion company after the factory in order to shorten the wheelbase, but i find no eveidence of such on this frame,

i know that in 72 older years that trucks such as crew cabs and extended cabs and such were converted into such not by GM but instead by a conversion company, but that models such as windshield and cowl models and other such models were factory available and listed in the GM RPO book sheets with pics and everything, those were built into full body motorhomes and school buses, and built in very low numbers in which i have source of here too. i have a pic of one somewhere, its a 68 one. all that it came with from factory is windshield and front clip and rest of cab was not installed, and went to conversion co to have bus/motorhome body put on from front-most door pillars and back,