Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UHMW-PE strips for leaf spring rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappy88, Aug 22, 2005.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Ok did a search and I'm going to rebuild my stock rear springs and go with a shackle flip. I've read that people are using .030" to .060" thick UHMW-PE tape for lining the springs. I'd like to get it from www.mcmaster.com as they are insanely fast at shipping to me since I live close. So far all I can find on the 3" roll is .0045", .0065" and .0115" thick. These are all on page 3201 of the online catalog. I think that stuff is too thin. Anyone have the page number or item number for the thicker stuff on a roll?

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

hmm.. I guess I'll give it a try. Just seems like .0060 is really thin and I was hoping for something a little thicker. Also, did you put it on the bottom of the springs or on the top? I'm thinking of putting mine on the top but don't know if it makes any difference.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you need 0.030 or 0.060... that other stuff is to thin. It will stay between the leaves just fine if you run them the full length of the spring. I remove the sticky adhesive crap and just use the spring pack's center pin / clamps to keep the stuff in there. Never had any work its way out yet... and I've had it in there for several years now.

j

4. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

try MSC

You might try www.mscdirect.com

They have lots of stuff and should have the same quick delivery.

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I ordered some .050" thick and 6" wide adhesive backed from Mcmaster this morning. Hopefully it cuts easy enough. I'll probably put it on top of each spring in the pack.

Mcmaster must have their own local delivery trucks around this area, because every time I order something in the morning, it's on my door by the time I get home the same day.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

On a similar topic, does anyone know where to buy the type of slider material that is designed for the ends of the leafs....you know the ones that sort-of snap into the holes drilled into the leafs???

I was thinking about just calling Alcan or a place like that, but there might be a cheaper aftermarket source.

When I finally pull my leafs apart for cleaning and fresh paint, I'd like to re-assemble with new material and spring pins and make them look 100% new again.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Greg, any spring shop will stock those. I put springs from the back of an '88 K5 under my '75 and replaced those pads before installing the new springs. They cost a whopping 50 cents each. :D