Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uhoooh!!! Thr tranny's got problems!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Jul 30, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

uhoooh!!! Thr tranny\'s got problems!!!

Well, I had the fluid changed and the filter was full of metal particles....what now??!!! the guy said it could be the torque converter going bad?? So, I guess the question is this: Should I A: wait till it dies then fix it or B: Sell it before the thing dies and let it be someone elses problem?
    What's the usual going rate for a TH350 re-build???
    I'm just wondering if it would be worth my while and money to just sell the thing now and not worry about trying to fix it....I don't know...What would you people do?
    Thanks!! :(
    Jordan

:( :( :(

Yep!! It's definatly a jEEP thing...So, what your excuse???

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Re: uhoooh!!! Thr tranny\'s got problems!!!

Depends how much you love your truck! a rebuild ranges from 600 (take it out and put it in yourself) to 1500 if you have the shop do it. But normally the converters are not your problem, generly it's either the "Bands" or the Planetary gears that give you the metal shavings,
    I went 5 years with "shavings" in my th350 with no problems.
    That was before I was rearendend and cracked the case itself.... They are actuall pretty tough trannies!

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Some particals it the pan is normal.The quantity you will have all depends on how often you service your trans.If you can get some on the end of your fingers and rub them together and not feel the particals your ok.If there large enough to feel you might be in trouble.If you have normal trans opperation I wouldnt worry.Ive seen exchange 350s for less than $400 .

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

4. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I would probably limp it as long as I could. That is just me though. ALot of people would say to replace it before it leaves you stranded. But that is what a cell phone and friends that owe you favor's are for. Around here I know that I could have a T350 rebuilt for under 500.00, probably even less, including a new converter. Put a fresh filter in it and see what happens. It might surprise you with many more miles. Btw, that price is if I pull the thing out myself!

Keep it simple!

5. FRIZZLEFRY

My TH350 rattles inside when in park.No abnormal amounts of metal in the so I figure I will drive it till it dies .Its done this for 7 years .

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Let it blow. If you DYI your looking at about $125 for parts including a rebuilt converter as long as the pump is good.
    Used pumps can be had for $40 or $50 bucks if the guy at the local tranny shop is in a good mood.
    Denver you need to move. $600 if you pull it is steep. Going rate around here (Atlanta) as long as pump is good is $300-350. I had my 79 done including the pull and install for $650 including a shift kit.
    A TH350 is about as simple as the come. Most tranny guys can rebuild one in a 2-3 hours.
    If you elect to have it done by someone else stay away from the chain shops. Find the local place with half the towns cars in it that the old guy down the street recomends.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a rebuilt TH 350 for sale...less than 1000 miles, shift kit, and TCI deep pan. I'm not horribly far from you...

Hows $275 sound?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Hmnnn.... sounds like another road trip coming up [​IMG]

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

9. tRustyK5

Depending on exactly where in WA state he is I might be able to deliver...I'm heading to San Francisco next weekend.

Rene

10. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Damn Rene!!!! You just had to throw a wrench in the whole scheme of things didin't you!! :) I was perfectly content with just letting the thing die and now you go throwing the "new'tranny in front of my face!! :) :) Crap!!! I live in Centeral Washington...But you'll probably be going down I-5 though huh?? BTW what does the shift kit do?? I hear alot about them, but I don't really know what they are good for??
    The metal shavings where really small...sort of looked like graphite, but he said there was alot more and what I saw was quite a bit!!! But the tranny fluid hadn't been changed in at least a year (since I've owned it) and who know's how long the girl before me went??....hmmm....so far the thing doesn't act weird, but how would you define running bad or weird??? anyway, I love my truck! but this might be the straw that breaks the camels back on my affections for it.......hmmmmm....damn!

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

It's ONLY a tranny!! Not a problem at all. The only way I could see it being "The straw that breaks the camels back" is if you have no clue on how to do most of the work yourself. Tranny dies, get it rebuilt. Truck is down for a week tops. Whats the big deal here? :)

$600 if you pull it? Geesh You DO need to move then. I paid $250 to have my th350 rebuilt (pulled it myself) and then an extra $100 for a Heavy Duty Torque Converter. This included heavy duty clutches in the tranny as well. So a total of $350 for a rock solid tranny rebuild.

I'm thinkin Denver was giving us the Aamco quote, those guys are always rip offs.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

12. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Actually I don't have a clue as to how to do most of the work myself...I assume I could pull it myself...it's just bolts right?? about putting it back in?? hmmm...what's to it??? If all I need is a torque wrench and a jack I might consider it...??? I'm not to worried, after all it is a TH350 and I know these things are a dime a dozen, I think I'm just being a little pesemistic (i know that isn't spelled right :) ) and getting tired of the high gas prices and just really looking for an excuse to buy a Toyota. :)

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I live right off of I5 near Seattle, I'd be willing to pick up and/or hold the tranny until you could get over here to pick it up. Won't be heading over to Cle Elum until October : )

Actually, I could maybe head to Oregon over I90, that would be labor day weekend.....

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. tRustyK5

All the shift kit does is allow the tranny to shift faster/crisper. In a light car under moderate acceleration this can cause the tires to chirp during a shift. I'm sure you've seen that before.

The time a tranny spends between gears during a shift creates heat...so the faster it shifts the less heat build up.

It also comes with one of those newer 'locking' dipsticks, and all new lines.

Let me know...and please don't buy a Toyota...[​IMG]

Rene...leaving on Saturday

15. FRIZZLEFRY

Graphite looking stuff is normal.The longer between services the more ya get.It sounds like he was trying to worry you.Save your money.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Going rate here for a TH 350 rebuild is $200 out the door, you pull and reinstall.

6 bolts in the bellhousing, three in the torque converter, remove lines, take down the crossmember and take it out. Put your transfer case on his tranny, put it on a jack, line it up to the motor, put the bellhousing bolts in, and put in the TC bolts. About a 3-6 hour job depending how it goes. It's really not that bad.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to disconnect the kickdown cable, or it will remind you that you forgeot.

18. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I just had my th350 rebuilt about 3 months ago. It cost $450(I pulled it), I got a rebuilt trans, new converter, new pump and a new input shaft. Well worth it if you ask me!

19. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have read in many tranny books that as long as you don't have more than a tablespoon, (The big one), the tranny is fine. It is normal for a tranny to have the (graphite) metal stuff in it. Change the fluid and filter a couple of times and rock on, it'll be fine.

Then deal from Rene is also a good one If you want a spare.
    JH

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy K20 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 w/8.1L & Allison Auto