Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ujoint and ball joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jun 27, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

I mentioned to a buddy of mine how the ujoints on my rear drive shaft went out when I was doing about 70 mph on the freeway a couple days ago. It was the ujoints on the rear shaft that bolt to the tranfer case. Needless to say massive vibration took place. Anyways he mention I should checkout the balljoints due to the vibration balljoints some time go out. Is this true? Also I figured at the time I would just disconnect the rear driveshaft since it is full time 4 wheel drive and just use the front drive to get home 5 miles away. Of course the front drive was not working. My question is. Is my transfer case the problem or does both drive shafts have to be connected for the front to engage. HHHHHHelp. And somebody tell me. What the hell do I need to do to become a member here and not a stranger?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

More than likely its your u joint. ball joints don't really tend to go "bad". At least not in my experience. I just got done chasing a huge vibration problem. Turned out the rear yoke was toast as well as the straps that hold down the u joint.
    In order to lose the stranger status you need to keep posting messages, it works on a progressive scale, the more posts the higher the ranking. After 25 you become a newbie then journeyman so on and so forth. Good luck with the vibration.

creepin' and crawlin'
    Jim

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

James, you didn't say what year you had. If it is a 70's model then it probaly has an NP203. If so, you need to put it in 4LOC to run on only one driveshaft. Otherwise the center diff will send all the power the other way. Jim

BigJBear '80 GMC

4. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

my balljoint broke becouse of to biig of tires on a old axle with over 200,000 miles on it never heard of a vib, making them go bad

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The rear drive shaft does not need to be connected in order for the front to spin.

89 K5 Silverado

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That's right, the rear drive shaft spins the gears inside the transfer case (when the transfercase is shifted in 4WD) thus causing the front drive shaft to spin and that makes the axle spin, and if your hubs are in the lock position, that makes your front tires spin. Atleast that is how it works for an NP205.
    Boss

7. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

My '89 blazer with 140,000 miles on it starting vibrating badly especially when I applied the brakes. I have the ujoints replaced and it helped some, but the main culprit were the upper ball joints. I had upper and lower ball joints replaced and the truck stops very nicely. One way to tell if the ball joints are bad is if the truck "shimmys" to one side when the brakes are applied.

Chevy's RULE!

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You two are talking about part-time cases. His profile says he has a '73 and if it is like most '73-'79's it has a full time NP203. It must be put into either HI LOC or LO LOC with either driveshaft out or the diff in the case will send all power the other way. Just like when you lift a tire with an open diff. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC
    www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com