Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ujoint question after lift. and pinion angle.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by little79k5, Sep 17, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

OK, so I got the 83 lifted. np208&10bolt in the back.
    it's about a "true" 7" worth of lift. echobit shackle flip and 2" angled Superlift blocks.ive dropped the tcase 1". and its reg. ujoint style shaft. the pinion angle looks good to me, near what it was stock. but i'm getting low speed vibrations from about 10mph to 35mph then it's as smooth as can be (i've had it to about 60). is it possible for the ujoints not be noticable before the lift and now after they just gave out? how do i measure my pinion angle to know for sure it's ok. oh yeah, it's only when i'm accelerating. when i let off and coast it's smooth. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you have a CV rear shaft then the pinion should be in line with the driveshaft. If you have a regular shaft with u-joints on eache end then the angles of the output and the pinion should be equal but opposite, that is, they should be parallel. Generaly rule of thumb is to point the pinion down about 2 degrees beyond the guidelines to make up for the little bit of wrap that the axle will have when it has power going to it. Get an angle finder from any hardware store to measure the angles and see where you're at. It sounds like the pinion needs to be brought down just a hair.</font color>

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've got a 6" lift and mine has a slight vibration between 10 mph to 30 mph. It was really noticable befor I put the front driveshaft in, but now I can just bearly feel it. I have blocks in the rear, and am planning on ORD shackle flip with 2.5 springs this spring. Hopefully that'll fix it, if not, I'll be a shimming it. Also thinking of a T-case lowering.

4. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

What did you use to lower Tcase??????

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I used a cv rear driveshaft and a track bar. I pointed the pinion right at the output shaft and kept it there. The track bar keeps it pointed in the right direction.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I haven't lowered mine yet, just consittering it. A friend that works at the local 4x4 shop said he can make the brakets, and do everything for under $100.00. I'll probley have him do it in a month or 2.