Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ujoint upgrade questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Jan 25, 2004.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

pulling my trans(400)on my suburban and want to at least put stronger ujoints in frount and rear drive shafts. front axle is a 10 bolt and rear is a 14 bolt 4.10 gears. 36 inch tires and moderate wheeling. Havent had problems but I like to inprove everything on it that I pull off.

Another qustion My front drive shaft has a lot of play in the slip yoke portion of it, the play is radial or side to side is that normal or is there a fix or do I need a new one?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif thanks guys and gals /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You need a new slip yoke in your front driveshaft.

What kind of transfer case does your rig have?

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Maybe well you've got the t-case out, you can take out the front axle and replace it with a 60 and put in a 1 ton dshaft.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe well you've got the t-case out, you can take out the front axle and replace it with a 60 and put in a 1 ton dshaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which you'd be disappointed to find that the 1 ton trucks use the same size u joints in their front driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which you'd be disappointed to find that the 1 ton trucks use the same size u joints in their front driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? Well thats shatty! Hahaha, guess I don't know much about 1 ton gear then. O well, you learn something new everyday. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

transfer case is a 208. Is the one ton front shaft stronger? or is it just as well to replace the front slip yoke in my shaft (lol I wrote shaft) anyway thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif