Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ujoints - 1350 or 14whatever.. explain???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, May 12, 2006.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so to me I know nothing about ujoints other than going to the parts store and buy what the truck needs.

I notice that people are saying they are upgrading to 1450 or whatever it is...

so my 1978 has a cv up front... what size are they? what size is a front d60? and what size is a 14bolt ff?

I have a spare front shaft that has a cv in it.... the splines are bad i believe.. I need a rear driveshaft and was thinking... couldnt I use the cv in the back and have a shaft made up to lessen the angle?

my rear shaft angle is bad.. I have a 2 piece shaft... lowered the carrier bearing say 2-4" as my tranny and xfer case is dropped....but then that is 1/2 way back... then the shaft darts down to the axle.. due to that I have alot of wobbling if I hammer it hard... I can acutally get the rear wheels to hop, lay off of it then hammer it again :haha:

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

60=1310.........14boltff=1350

3. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

With the 2 peice driveline you really need a c/v in the middle of that shaft if its lifted- as for joint size- if your running a 35 or larger go with a 1350 if possible and over a 38 go with 1410 when ever possible- or give me a call and i'll explain- here's a pic of the 2 piece with a c/v - Jess

Picture 033.jpg

4. drivelineman

that's a stock 2 piece - here's the custom c/v - Jess

IM000079.jpg

5. drivelineman

and a pic of the different sizes of joints as refrence-

Picture 514.jpg

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what is the biggest joint in that pic? 3rd and 4th joints from the left look like 1350 and 1410 respectively....

btw, I noticed with the new flange/yokes that you guys offer for the ff14b that you can run 1480 joints. Thats just a D60 joint right? Does that mean you could run a CTM in there? lol! :grin: :thumb:

j

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

:thinking: I like the way you think, mister. :D I better just stick with my 1410 yokes though.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

heh heh, I ain't rich enough to run CTMs in my axle shafts, let alone driveshafts... just thinking. :thumb: Wear shouldn't be a big problem, driveshaft turns a lot less than a axle shaft.. and without the ring/pinion gear reduction, I can't imagine any engine breaking that joint.

j