Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ULSD Fuel Question ( for those that run it )

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4by4bygod, Nov 15, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi All!

Anyone use ULSD 15ppm sulfur fuel, and experience vapor lock after running awhile, shutting down, then attempting to restart?

Tom

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Where do you find the ULSD?
    In California we still run the normal low sulfur which I believe is now down to 65PPM?
    I know if you want to run ULSD in any US manufactured diesel you want to use some type of additive to make your engine live.
    :(

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

BP has it here in the midwest. not commercially available yet. It's being supplied to certain bus fleets also using the new particulate traps. ( the two have to be used together, or the traps get poisoned.)

I thought CA & Alaska had to run the 15ppm, did not know it was 65. may as well be zero, really. the 15ppm will be there soon enough.

I do know that the 15ppm ULSD is made from number 1 fuel, and not number 2, so it's more volatile. Europe has a "vapor lock index" rating for their ULSD, but no US fuel supplier has that standard listed in their fuel specs.

One of my school bus clients is testing that fuel, and they're getting periodic vapor lock on two of their older buses.( 93 IH ) They're trying to determine if it's the ULSD, or something mechanical. It's killing their mileage too.

Seems to me that the way the fuel is made, it COULD be the cause by itself, so I'm looking for anyone who may have had a similar experience.

As far as helping the engine live, the biggest probs with ULSD are lack of lubricity, and bacteria / fungus / yeast growth. sulfur is a lubricant, and since it's acidic, it also kept the bugs from growing.

To make things more fun , sulfur content is limited to no more than 7 - 10 PPM at the refinery, or else the EPA shuts them down. the refiners are "guessing" that the sulfur already in the pipelines will get them " somewhere " near the 15ppm upper limit, but they can't be sure of anything.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Tom

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah that is why I said you want to put additives, for lubricity and fungus fighting, plus it raises your cetane rating a bit too.
    And by the way we only have #2 diesel here, in the winter times up in the higher elevations some stations carry the #1 which is mostly kerosene, very volatile.