Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ultimate K10 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Apr 6, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Does anyone remember when Off road magazine did that ultimate k10 article? Any ways, they used a pickup as their platform for the build but would that same build work on a blazer or jimmy? I'd have to trim an awful lot to fit 39's with only 4 inches of lift but if they did it does that mean the ordinary person could do it. I'm not afraid to cut on my truck but would that much cutting envolve losing of the front inner fender well and possibly the rear inner fender? I'd like to still do some mudding but mostly just crawling over stuff. The reason I ask is that I'm buying a 3/4 ton pickup to swap out axles on and it already has a 4 inch lift on it. So all I would need to do is swap out axles and the lift on to my truck and add tires. Does anyone run 38's or 39's with a 4 inch lift? Thanks for any responses. this site rocks!:saweet:

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yes.

3. littlejimmythatcould

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

"yes" pretty much sums it up.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

People have run 4 inches of lift and even bigger tires. Its hard to fit on trails when your truck is twice as tall as a j$%p.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You asked a lot of questions. "Yes" answers most, if not all of your questions. It sounds to me like you already know all the things you're wondering about.

7. littlejimmythatcould

Yes possibly. I just needed some reassurance that I'm heading in a good direction before I start ordering parts. I'll probablly go with 38's as opposed to the 39's. But to clarify, that is a yes to losing the inner fenders? Would a 6 inch lift with the 38's clear the inner fenders? Sorry to ask so many ???'s, but thanks for you all's replies.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You will have to trim the rear of the front inner fenders. I am running 5" with 39.50 Pitbulls. I added a zero rate and moved the front axle 1.5" forward. 38s and 6" you will still have to trim; less if you use a zero rate to move the axle forward. Look at Citizen Rider's truck. He has 6" and 38s.

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

6" and 38 TSL's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VERY minor trim in back fenders. Had to cut an alright amount off the back of the front fender. But no more rubbing.

10. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

4 inches with 39.5 iroks, first pic is no trimming, second pic is with trimming third pic is flexed

PDRM0283.JPG

PDRM0316.JPG

2193678630086447414BzqxeX_ph.jpg

11. littlejimmythatcould

I'll post some pictures tonite when I get home from work. I've already trimmed my fenders even with the inner wheel wells on the front like citizen's truck. I'm stock right now with 33x12.50's so I had to trim. I just wanted to do the 4 inch lift to not have to deal with driveline angle issues.

12. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Yes. :D

11.00 x 16.00 XLs = 39 x Skinny. 16x7" wheels. Trimming. 4-6" lift? it's custom...my brother's truck.

View attachment chevflex.jpg

super2.jpg

super.jpg

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

:eek1: [​IMG]

I knew wagoneers had to be good for something.

14. littlejimmythatcould

Do you guys think I'll be alright with the way they're cut now? Also, I know the zero rates can be used for lift but what is the purpose in moving your axles in or out? sorry for all the dumb questions just trying to learn. "there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people". thanks.

4-03 086.jpg

4-03 087.jpg

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You use a zero rate to move the axle forward. Mainly because once your tires are hitting your firewall/cab floor area, you can't trim back any farther. But if you move the axle forward, you alleviate that problem, and you can trim as far forward as you want.

16. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

and to get more WB

17. littlejimmythatcould

would you have to move your spring shackles and hangers too? Also, I always thought that short wheel base was a good thing. Or is the few extra inches forward not really noticable? I love learning all this new stuff.:laugh:

18. littlejimmythatcould

would you have to move your spring shackles and hangers too? Also, I always thought that short wheel base was a good thing. Or is the few extra inches forward not really noticable? I love learning all this new stuff.:laugh:

19. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

everything stays in its place. it bolts onto the bottom of the spring pack and you can keep it centered, move it forward or back. very easy.

I would think your rear wheel cutting is fine. But in front you will need more cutting at the part by the cab. But once you get the tires you can figure it out from there. How i did mine.

20. littlejimmythatcould

Cool. Thanks for the info everybody. learned a lot. I like this site a lot too. A lot of my buddies run jeeps and stuff and don't know a whole lot about fullsize trucks so it's nice to talk with people who know what's up with fullsize trucks. thanks again.:bow: