Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ultimate newbie question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TwistedSkipper, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TwistedSkipper

TwistedSkipper Registered Member

Hey guys, I hope this isnt too comical of a question. I have an occasional death wobble on my '83 k5. I have 4" superlift front springs that were on it when i bought it, the rear is on blocks.All other steering components appear to be OEM. I am trying to eliminate possibilities, and I have read here that changing ball joints and tie rod ends are a good start. Is the actual tie rod the long bar that goes from wheel to wheel along the bottom, or is it the linkage thing, (drag link?) that is near the steering box that runs front to back? By the pictures I have seen for replacement ends, looks like something toatally different than what is in my Haynes book. I want to get a steering arm that compensates for the lift. and linkage as well, Part #'s would maybe help. I intend to pull these 31's off for 33's and i am scared to do it until i fix by obious problem. Please help and dont think i am lame:rolleyes:

2. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Before you start throwing parts and money at it, spend some time laying under the truck looking at things. Grab stuff and shake it. See if it "feels" loose. Jack up one side and try to move the tire up and down and back and forth. If you can have a buddy do this while you watch the ball joints and steering junk. You will see/feel whats worn out. Make sure if there is play it isn't in the wheel bearings. I still spend time relaxing just laying under my junk looking around. Helps you find loose bolts, lost tools, errant thongs, etc. Found a dead cat once, but we won't go there.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Try a new steering stabilizer.

4. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

You may need to put a raised steering arm on.

5. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

if it doesnt already have one, put a raised steering arm (a stock one with lift would cause more bumpsteer than death wobble but...) on, and a fresh steering stabilizer setup because those two are good starting points, but check out the condition of everything before you go and purchase any new parts

LUKE

6. evo

evo Registered Member

could be caster also, especially if its got longer shackles on the front. i finally figured it out on mine after i went thru and replaced evrything:mad: