Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ultimate nv4500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok so I was told to decide upon what the ultimate 4500 would be for my truck. A friend of mine knows a tranny guy that apparently can do anything to trannies you could want including swapping in stronger bellhousings or lower gears etc. as long as there is available parts. So if you were going to build a bulletproof 4500 what would you have done to it?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nothing...

Unless you're towing I wouldn't even upgrade the 5th gear nut...the problem is mostly caused by towing heavy loads with gobs of input torque (CTD)

i will be using a bell from AA, but that's about the only non OEM part I'm using. It's a burly transmission already. Mine is a '95 diesel version with the vibration dampner on the mainshaft and a 5.61:1 first gear. The early version had the 6.34:1 first gear, but also had a two piece countershaft...versus a one piece countershaft in later models.

Rene

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Have 5th upgraded and put in my truck.:D Those things are pretty bullet proof as built.

Ira

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Can the earlier 2 piece countershaft be swapped out for a newer 1 piece in the earlier 6.34 version. I would like to have the lower first gear.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I haven't found anything like that on the sites I've found so far. They may make an aftermarket one piece version of the early two piece countershaft though. Check www.quad4x4.com for what may be available. For actually getting NV4500 parts give Kyle a call at Northwest Fab...that's where I bought all my NV4500 parts and he has the best prices I've found.

Rene

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah they are pretty bullet proof, even in modded diesels. The most carnage ive ever seen to one was a 3500 dually that did tractor pulls, snapped the input and one other thing but I cant rememebr exactly what.