Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ultimate windshield squirter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Oct 20, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had this crazy idea involving a 5 gallon gas can, a universal electric fuel pump, and some rubber line to plumb in into the stock, non functional windshield washing system. Any better ideas for an awesome windshield washer?

Figure mix a quart of ammonia with the rest water and I can hit every hole all day long and not run out of fuel...er...windshield washer solvent.

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Haha! A 50lb windshield washer reservoir. That is good stuff man. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, u need to change ur nick to cap'n'overkill... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Maybe...but my windshield washer thing has been broken for a few years. I tried fixing it, but the wiring is messed up somewhere. I already replaced the steering column and it didn't work...then recently I got another wiper motor and hooked it up, it still didn't work.

So, since I'm going to wire something up anyway, why not upgrade? Is my idea really that crazy?

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Go to the junkyard and find a newer vehicle that has front and rear windshield washers, it will have 2 pumps in it (for the most part, unless it has a new bi-directional pump in it). Most of the pumps in the newer vehicles will put out 60psi in "blocked nozzle conditions" with a little extra voltage in them. Jack a few spray nozzles off the hood of a junker and you've got a helluva washer system, all you need to do is drill some holes in your reservoir or whatever you want your reservoir to be.

IF you happen to find a bi-pump, you can run two separate hoses off of it and reverse the polarity to the pump to pump to the "rear". Maybe some rear wash on a blazer???

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a truck, no Blazer here, so that wouldn't be necessary. I'm just looking for a large resovoir. What I really want a tip on is what to use for the pump. I had the fuel pump idea but that's hardcore overkill. I don't need it to hose my window off, just wet the mud down real good so the wipers can clean it off.

7. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

Or, with the bi-directional pump, you could send each outlet to one side of the hood. This should get you some extra flow, extra bling since you can spray just one side, and double extra bling when you alternate sides....I'll bet the ricer crowd has never seen that before.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm liking this idea. The fuel pump is overkill but yeah. I know when it gets good and muddy I have trouble washing off my windshield.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

isent ammonia bad for tinted windows?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but I don't have tinted windows. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Hmm the washer fluid buckets with the squeeges(sp?) at my work are filled with washer fluid, water, amonia, and dish soap so that might suck for some people.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey, if ur into mudding and really want that windshield clean, go super trick and figure out a way to get 2 of your rigs 8 cylinders to power a high-pressure water pump that could blast the mud right off the glass. ur rig would be unstopable in mud just cause you'd be able to see so good. everyone at the local mud pit would be jealous, their mud-caked windshields halting all progress.

j

13. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

get a water pump from a R/V

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah ammonia turns tint purple...instead of black

Later

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    get a water pump from a R/V

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's an idea! I'll have to look into that! Camping world is right down the street.

16. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Later

[/ QUOTE ]
    if the tint is on the inside of the window how exactly does it turn purple if the amonia is put on the outside? just curious. never heard of this before.

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Later

[/ QUOTE ]
    if the tint is on the inside of the window how exactly does it turn purple if the amonia is put on the outside? just curious. never heard of this before.

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of people have found out the hard way that using an amonia based window cleaner to clean the INSDIE windows of their vehicles is BAD. Told my dad not to do it, but he just HAD to detail the inside of his truck /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Gotta be careful. Alot of the windex style products will do some funny things to window tint /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I bought a universal washer pump, a 2 gallon gas can, and 10 feet of hose. I'm going to rig it all up this weekend i think.

19. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

A couple of my friends have some of the large stainless steel fire extinguishers with a schrader valve and removeable top that can be filled w/water and charged with an air compressor. They do a great job of blasting mud off of windshields. And they got them for about $10 each from local fire dept. getting rid of them.

Will

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My dad has one...Hmmm...dual duty?