Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ultra Copper for Diff cover? ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran out of black RTV and all I have around is Ultra Copper. Is this ok to use as diff cover gaskets? Will gear oil eat it?

I am running Ultra Copper on the intake manifold so I now it will last with motor oil, but I know ATF eats it. Will gear oil be ok with Ultra Copper? I run Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil if it matters any.

Harley

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have that ultra copper paint stuff on my hubs to seal up the the shafts and it hasn't had any problems yet.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats all I use for the diffs never leaked on me yet. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats whats only on the front cover you made me, and whats holding on the gasket ( needed one there ? ) on the rear one you made me. I like the ultra copper as it useful in more areas /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Ultra gray is the way...

We use it to install diffs on semi's...spicer even slaps there sticker on the carded product when we get a reseal kit from them.....i use it on xfer cases...trannies...and in place of diff cover gaskets...

DW

6. Hossbaby50

Does grey it work with ATF? I need to pull my 208 out an reseal it again because the ATF ate the Ultra Copper. I will keep that in mind now that I know that Grey is the Way.

Its to late for the rear diff as it is sealed up now and hopefully won't need opened again for awhile.

Harley

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Its to late for the rear diff as it is sealed up now and hopefully won't need opened again for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know exactly how long it lasts , but I know this much : It was on my 12 bolt from November through end of February and didn't fail, actually had to scrape it and the gasket off as they were stuck to the housing ( cover came off clean ) . It was also on from end of Feb until I swapped covers and worked on my diff and it held that long too. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Hossbaby50

I know that RTV itself will last a long time as long as the fluid it is sealing doesn't eat it. I am just hoping that the diff ring I put on will keep my cover from peeling back so I don't have to pop the cover off to fix the leaks I was getting. I also hate to drop the cover because everytime I do I am at risk of ruining $30 in gear oil (which I did when I popped it this time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

Harley