Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ULTRA RARE factory 16.5 beadlocks... UNBREAKABLE BEAD!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Feb 1, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, I was telling the truth on the second part of the title at least... I thought everyone told me that 16.5" wheels were the easiest in the world to remove and mount tires on... Why in the world can't I get this tire off.. I jumped up and down, pryed with a tire tool, and pryed with a huge metal bar. Was I supposed to not let the air out before I began this? I just don't get it, its really driving me crazy :eek1: I just can't get the bead to unseat! Help me get these tires off and the new tires mounted on (I sure hope it isn't harder than this).
    Thanks,
    James

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Did you take the stem out?

Sometimes they can be hard to break the bead on if they are old. Try a big sledge hammer and smack the side wall as close to the wheel as possible (don't hit the wheel)

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

16.5's pop out real easy cause of the bead. not sure if the pop in as easy, i would think so but i :dunno: i thought chevy put a safety lip type deal on some 16.5's:confused: also old rubber that uder pressure against metal that gets hot and cold expands and contracts, etc etc can form a very good seal. im sure youve taken off old radiator hoses? i know theres no 200* water going through the tires but sitting and baking in the sun dont help.

4. 78Suburban

I just let 99% of the air out... do I need to take the stem out? If so, which part do I unscrew, the nut shaped thing at the bottom of the stem, or just the threaded shaft of the stem?
    thanks,
    James

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my motorcycle tires, I place a 2X6 under and on top next to the wheel. And use a jack to break the bead, driven on once, but the jack worked better for them.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, take all the air out. There is a metal core that sits sown inside the stem after you take the cap off, it just screws out. With the stem in, when you push on the sidewall it will "build" pressure in the tire... forcing the bead to stay on. I would let it out and hit it hard with a big sledge, or use the board and drive the Jeep on it. Place the board as close to the wheel as possible.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You can buy a core removal tool for a couple bucks

[​IMG]

If you don't want your old tires anymore, just cut the sidewalls with a knife.

8. 78Suburban

well, I did try to drive the jeep on with the board earlier too......and I tired letting air out of the tire when the jeep was parked on it... I don't think it could possibly have more than 1psi left in it.

So I have to have one of those tools to remvoe the valve stem? its kinda confusing me exactly what I should unscew.
    thanks,
    james

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Look down inside the hole where the air goes in. The thing with two flat sides and the little "pin" sticking up is the part that comes out. It's a real small piece. The inside of the stem is threaded to allow you to screw it out with the little tool thing.

You may be able to bring them to a local tire shop and have them break the beads, it shouldn't take them more than a couple minutes.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Just go buy new valve stems and cut the old ones.

Ira

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what happens to a balloon when you squeeze it even if it has only a tiny bit of air? First step to breaking down a wheel and tire when I do them is also just remove the valve stem core with the appropriate tool and wait till it stops blowing air. Even after you do that, leave out the stem and that is one of the last things to go back in. As soon as you push on the tire with the tire remover(on a machine) it blows a puff of air out of the stem, that is air you are trapping in the tire. Not that I haven't removed a tire without removing the stem, you just got one thats happy where it is.

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I've had some old 16.5's that had been on so long that my Suburban or Crew Cab sitting on them wouldn't budge, even with the valve stem off. I've used sledghammers and all sorts of different ideas before. Besides the few factory 16.5 rims that did have the safety bead, I've found most stubborn ones have rust that seems to be holding the tire bead to the rim. Just years of condensation I guess.

We had a tire once that was on so bad we sawzalled it all to pieces down to where only the bead was left on the rim and after we finally cut through it, it was still extremely hard to pull it away from the rim.

13. 78Suburban

How much does one of these little valve stem tooks cost? Is it hard to strip out when screwing it back in? All of this is new to me, so I don't want to screw anything up..
    I would let the tire place break the beads but they are all so anal that they would probably charge an arm and a leg.. I'm wanting to be as cheap as possible, because there will be plenty of other expenses before the mud bog on the 25th. I still just can't believe how stubbborn this bead is, I've given it he11 and it didn't budge..lol
    thanks,
    James

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's just a couple bucks for the tool, and them sten screws back in real easily... so if it turns hard you may have it going in wrong.

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

super easy, the tool is like 2 bucks, if you can put a screw in with a screw driver you can do this

16. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

jeez- somebody must have used a sealant on that. All I have to do is let the air out and hammer it with a sledge and they pop right off!

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

dude go to walmart. $3.50 a tire mounted. its like 10 mounted and balanced. if your doing it your self your not balancing em. save your self a few hours of your life, take a run to wally world and have em do it for 14 bucks. this is what i did for my 36's. granted i had to drive there, put the truck on jackstands in the parking lot and wheel them in to have it only be 3 bucks but it was worth it!

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Doesn't say where you are in GA, but if you are near ATL bring them by the house and I'll hook you up. I just west of Marietta. I've got a tire machine in the garage. Some of the worst tire I ever had to do were on a Pontiac. They were on a car that belonged to his dad & had been on there for over 20 yrs. So if yours have been on there a long time they are probably just stuck.

Definitely take the valve stem out next time. Will make things much easier.

19. 78Suburban

this tool?

[​IMG]

My dad got to looking around.. is this the correct tool?

bigjbear, I'm 100 miles south of ATL, but I really appreciate the offer, that would be awsome if I just lived a bit closer..

Thanks,
    James

20. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

This is the tool I use. It also doubles as a cap. :D

ValveStem 001.jpg