Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Um help??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brians89K5, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I got everything installed on the front of my truck, Im still waiting for the rear suspension stuff to come it. Today I go out to fire the truck up since she has been sitting for a month and I turn the truck from lock to lock. It turns left farther than it does right. I used the steering arm that Rough country provided. I was thinking I may have stuck the springs on backwards? I looked in the installation instructions and they didn't specify wich way to mount them so I used my best judgement. There is a big eye on the spring and a small eye on the spring. I installed them with the big eye forward and the wedge skinny side towards the transfer case. Was this the wrong way? And would that cause my steering problem? Thanks a bundle fellas! Its a rough country 6 inch lift btw

~Brian

2. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

How much have you lost to the right?

It sounds like the springs are on correctly. I don't think it would cause a loss of steering anyway. There is always a loss of steering to one side when these trucks are lifted and the original steering set-up is retained. The raised arm or lowered drag-link can help correct this, but for a 6 inch lift you may have to do both. I think the raised steering arm will only compensate up to a 4" lift.

Crossover steering is about the only way to get full lock-to-lock steering on these types of trucks after they are lifted. It's a lot of work, but quite a few people that post here have done it.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds normal crossover steering is the answer

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Lengthen your draglink a little, it will help.

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2. I have a killer turning radius now:D

6. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

So this is common with lifted trucks? 'Cause I have a 3in body lift, and I can't turn worth a crap to the right. I can turn on a dime to the left, but I have the turn radius of a semi to the right? I wasn't really thinking of doing crossover though...

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Body lift has nothing to do with the steering issues. Suspension lifting is the cause of most issues.

8. Chaddy

If your having problems with a body lift then you must check all your steering parts.

9. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

You do not need to go to crossover, same thing happened to me after my lift, they give you instructions with the lift hopefully on how to fix this. You need to recenter your steering box, then you can take the wheel off and straighten it out. Search here I'm pretty sure its been covered before more indepth then what I'm telling you.

10. Brians89K5

Thanks for all the quick reply's. Im thinking since I have this truck all appart I may do the cross over steering. Anyone have any suggestions about the best dealers to offer this setup? Thanks again!

~Brian

11. Chaddy

I really like my ORD set up.

12. Brians89K5

I was looking at getting that setup from them. On a scale from one to ten how much of a pain in the ass was doing this setup on your truck?

~Brian

13. Chaddy

3....It took about 2 hours to get it all done, then I took it down to the alignment shop the next day. I love the way it turns! The only thing I ran into was the sector shaft I got was for a different year so it didnt fit in my existing box so I just bought a new box from Rocklogic and had them drill and tap it for hydro assist.

14. Brians89K5

I just looked at my front spindle and it does not have the flat part that ORD was talking about. I have a 10 bolt front end on my truck. Ideas? Aside from D60 that is. Did you do the crossover on the 10 bolt?

~Brian

15. Chaddy

I did crossover on my 60.

16. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you can get a knuckle from a D44 that has flattops, it will bolt right on to your 10 bolt with no problem

17. wkbrdrob

wkbrdrob Registered Member

I had the same problem after I did my lift too. I fixed mine by adjusting the bar that connects the pitman arm to the steering arm. I've got the TC 4" springs with the raised steering arm. Have someone hold your steering wheel (otherwise it won't be straight), straighten out your tires, and then adjust the bar. Then take it down and have it aligned.

18. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like you may not have centered the steering box properly when you reconnected the drag-link. Centering the box is just basically turning the steering wheel from full lock one way, and then turning it full lock the other way, while counting the amount of full turns the steering wheel makes. After you have counted the amount of full turns it takes to go from full lock-to-full lock, then just turn the steering wheel back half that amount, and the steering box will be centered.

For Example, if it takes 3-1/2 turns for your steering wheel to go from full lock-to-full lock, then it would take 1-3/4 turn back from full lock, in order for the steering box to be centered. After the steering box is centered, then reconnect the drag link. Then do the final small of adjusting on the drag-link it takes to center the steering wheel itself.

19. Brians89K5

thanks for all the help!! Im going to patch this up best I can and begin the crossover steering for the ultimate in turning control! :D

~Brian