Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

um... no dual exh on an 81 k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noJeepshere, Oct 30, 2003.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

done my engine swap, /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif now time for exhaust, but all the muffler shops said i had to have it put into a single exhaust with a cat. my blazer had the 250 with single. the donor was a higher gvw 1/2 ton 350 w/o cats and dualled. crap, that will automatically double the price of the system, and not the way i want it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. lmc sells dual systems for the k5, so why cant a shop? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif f#*^ing government /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Those shops are smokin the crack. If you run duals with dual cats I don't see how there could be any problem.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Uh... go to a different shop... damn straight you can run true duals with 2 cats and 2 mufflers....if not try and find a system through summit or LMC (they'll give you shittty mufflers though)

I know its a crappy pics, but this is my true duals back when I still had a block lift and 10bolt [​IMG]

4. tlbob

tlbob Registered Member

yeah i live in colorado i dont think theres any law aginst runnin duals but if factory equiped you have to run a cat or two with duals and if they say it wont fit it might be because of the gas tank might be in the way? id ont know on a second gen but with my first gen that was why i ran mine in front of the wheels and to keep them from getting crushed you know you could build your own and do it the way you want and save$$ just need a welder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

what is "true duals"

i have headers -> glasspacks -> side exits...is that true duals?

are there fake duals?

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Fake duals split from one pipe to two, usually behind the cat.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

How far from Ellensburg, WA are you? There is a member on here that goes by the name of White Ryno that works at an exhaust shop in Ellensburg and will hook you up with what ever you want.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Federally illegal for you or anyone to change the amount of catalytic converters orginally on the vehicle. $10,000 fine IIRC.

If you go with a newer drivetrain that had dual cats, you are fine. It's illegal to go "backwards" with emissions components, so even if you put in an older engine, it is illegal. Our state doesn't care/check, nor does the federal government that I am aware of, just that it is illegal. No shop wants to take that risk.

You have to walk into an exhaust shop if you want their "real" answer to whether they will do duals or not.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep arent legally able to put in older engine in a vehicle thats older than the vehicle is and legally not able to remove any anti-pollution equipment at all, but if you arent caught then youre not in trouble.

in this state i know you will get told ot leave propery if you walk into an exhaust shop and ask them to install any custom exhaust on anything 75-up no matter what it is, they will turn you down in a heartbeat. it is a bitch to get custom exhaust hung unless you know someone important, they immediately ask you if its got or had cat from factory and they also ask you year of vehicle first.

youre legally only allowed to install headers and such on offroad vehicles, when you buy headers and intakes and such there are notes about this pasted all overt he package warning you about this but of course no one cares or even notices

on a side note i know a guy here who got fined 75 bucks for hauling in an engine thats got vin code stamped on it and he didnt have title for it,

i dont know how or why but apparently in this state if you get caught with anyything with vin code on it and you have no title then youre in trouble

another reason why i hate IL

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Read question #2.
    EPA reg

Most catalogs no longer state "for offroad use only" for engine stuff, because technically, "offroad use only" no longer exists.

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Monroe pulled this crap on a friend of mine. He had an older pre-75 3/4T Suburban with the 454 and it needed new mufflers. Well it didn't have cats and the engine was built up but never replaced. The guys there wouldn't replace his mufflers without adding cats to it. My buddy didn't know any better, didn't ask anyone else and had it done. The next day he went to drive back to his in-laws place out in Maryland, he made it almost all the way before the added back pressure fried his BBC. He said when his wife climed in the middle seat to feed the dogs, she burned her feet on the floor boards they had gotten so hot from the cats. He looked under it and saw that they were cherry red. but like a dumb a** he kept driving.

I had to go out and tow him back here with my Burb, and when we got it back we verified through five different sources, including another Monroe that his truck should never have had the cats. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

It was another shop that told us the engine had been smoked from the added back pressure. I don't understand how, but thats what they told him. He sued Monroe and won, but lost the truck in the end.