Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Umbrella valve seals?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, Jun 27, 2001.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

What exactly are umbrella valve seals? The reason I ask is my '90 seems to have really worn valve guides (and probably seals too). I read somewhere that you can use umbrella valve seals to limp the motor by until it can be rebuilt. Can these be used on my later motor? Are they hard to install? Anything special to know?
    Thanks for any info.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........that's 207,000 and counting now

2. sjeccles

sjeccles Registered Member

your motor came from the factory with unbrella valve seals. The intake are a soft rubber and the exhast a hard type. The only reason I know is because iI was at the parts store just yesterday getting ones for my 90 They cost about $20.00 for the whole set (FELPRO)

90 K5 jimmy

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If you have an air compressor and a overhead valve spring compressor, you can do the seals without taking heads off. If you don't, the heads would have to be disassembled to install.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Just take the heads off, and save yourself the stress of dropping a valve, and having to tear it apart anyhow. Head gasket kits should only run you about $50 (FELPRO)

<font color=red> Check out my truck @ </font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</A> [​IMG]