Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

umm, glow plugs, or just cuz?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reluctant convert, Feb 3, 2006.

1. reluctant convert

reluctant convert Newbie

Bought an 88 Subourbon tonight, 6.2, 4x,

They were using ether to fire it up, and if warm it does by itself.

Did a little searching here tonight, and found that is bad ****, so........

Are the Glow Plugs that Autozone lists for $10 apiece really the ticket?
    The light works, how do I tell that they don't, other than the not firing?

Been a toyota guy for awhile, and the only GM I have ever owned were EFI types, that and a 2.8 carby or two that scared the hell outta me, reliability wise.

The general consensus on the board from what I have read is that my 6.2 is an ok motor, jus under powered, but adequate.

Any info will help.

Thanks.

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

I've heard ether is bad if your plugs work. I have been using this method for 2yr on my 6.2. no problems yet.but it has to be at least 40deg out.or no go.
    this is'nt my DD just 3-4 days out of a month besides december-march''too cold''.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Grab your test light, testing GP's is quick and easy. Attach the alligator clip to the + terminal on the batt. Touch the probe to the spade on the GP itself. If the light on the tester comes on the GP is good, if it doesn't the GP is dead.

Ask for AC60G glow plugs, or grab a set of "Quick heats" from www.kennedydiesel.com

If you get the AC60G's you will likely need to switch to manual control as they take a little long to get hot enough. The factory controller won't cycle them for long enough and it'll still be somewhat hard to start. With the "quick heats" the factory controller should be just fine. They glow hot very quickly...

You can probably find a ton more info in our diesel forum.

Rene

4. reluctant convert

reluctant convert Newbie

Thanks, the link showed to be same price as AZ.
    Found a ton of info there (in the diesel forum), and am sure will find more as I go.
    Was gonna post there, but for the moment I still have the "limited" membership.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For the amount of info here the membership is a bargain...not to push it on you. Trust me when i say the site is a ton more fun and useful with the full membership. Really good group of guys and a knowledge base that's second to none for these trucks (and many other topics).

good luck with the 'burb!

Rene

6. reluctant convert

reluctant convert Newbie

Uhhhh, thankfully, turned out to be just in need of a battery, and a full charge on the one that was good, just weak from carrying the bad one, warmed up, this thing fires like a gas engine, heck, fires like the toyota I just rebuilt the motor on, 3 cranks, and purri- err clanking.