Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Umm...WTF?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Jun 24, 2005.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

2. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

And it's a Chevelle on top of it. I love Chevelles (I've got a '70) but that's ridiculous. Notice there are no bids yet.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ew. i dont like that at all. why take a classic and ruin it? not everything has to be on 44s.

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

I'd still buy it. Put that chevelle body on a FIXERUP and stick my blazer body on the frame. But, as is, I would have to agree..... poor chevelle. he ruined a perfectly good muscle car. If he put half the money into just restoring the chevelle, he would prolly sell that for $25k and not be such a douche bag

5. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I've never understood why somebody would go to all the trouble to just end up with a car on a truck frame that looks completely ridiculous! Why waste a perfectly good chevelle, if anything, somebody should take away his right to buy old muscle cars! And what's with all the pics of other cars in the auction? Is he getting ready to put caterpillar tracks on the 68 camaro?? Why not, we've already desicrated an american classic, why stop there? Maybe he should repaint the mona lisa?? She could use a nose ring!!

6. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

yeah, I have a '72 chevelle, and I only wish mine looked anywhere near that nice. and I think anyone here could put those 44's, and drivetrain to much better use. but mostly, it's just a waste of an otherwise bad-ass muscle car. :shame:

7. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Atleased it was a 71 chevell and not anything older. That would be a real waste.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It isn't a SS , he would be selling it for a lot on a car frame if it was , market is getting higher priced ..... and actually selling.

9. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

i think for a 10k paint job, it'd better be solid gold.

10. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

Theres someone around here thats had a chevy II nova on a blazer frame like that and make me just think, "uhm, why?".

btw its a mall crawler.

11. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I think it is mainly just to have something different and to to be a attention getter.. Which apparently it works because if it was just a normal 4x4 we wouldn't be here talking about it now :D

There are a few cars mounted on 4x4 frames around here.. A couple Mustangs, 4 or 5 70's and 80's Camaros and a couple of others.. I have seen pics of everything from Chevettes to Corvettes on the net..

Now my own opinion is yeah it is a waste of a good mucle car.. It would be worth alot more money if it was left in original condition not to mention more practical.. The good ole muscle cars in decent condition are getting harder and harder to come by all the time.. Especially at a price that the average person could afford one.. I think that if you wanted a 4x4 there are alot of choices to pick from to keep from hacking up a good car.. But most of the time the ones that end up on 4x4 frames are about shot anyway..

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I think its a perfectly good Chevelle Malibu with chrome rocker strips , even if it isn't a SS :D

13. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I saw a '70 Chevelle station wagon on a 4x4 frame, and it actually looked ok! Much better than this one. I just can't wait to have mine finished. It got put on hold since the Jimmy project.

14. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My Father built a 70 Chevelle Wagon into a 4x4, maybe its the one that you saw. Wish I could get it back he sold it to me then I sold it cause it wasn't fitting our family. But it was a really nice wagon and it was done right. He took the stock frame boxed the whole thing and clipped the suburban front clip onto it. It road like a wagon and 4x4 great. My wife drove it all the time had 90,00 orginal miles and the interior was in great shape. Loved the thing but it was hard to fit a baby seat into. It had a tail gate that could open both ways either down or to the side which was cool.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had one too!

I had a 72 Chevelle "Nomad" Wagon on a 69 Suburban chassis --bought it from my friend in 89,and had it until 1995...I miss that thing!--it had a 454,TH350 2wd style tranny,and a divorced Rockwell T223 transfer case,3.73 gears!..it would haul A$$ !.. I had seen many 68-72 El Camino's converted to a 4x4 but my wagon was the first I'd seen done..my dad had a 68 Chevelle Wagon,its the car I got my licence in,and learned to drive in,so that likley influenced my decision to buy the 72...The guy who built it had to shorten the frame about 11",and he used all the wagons original body mounts to bolt it to the suburban frame..and added chevy vega bumpers under the original Chevelle bumpers to comply with NH bumper height laws at the time..It was not really a difficult swap,and when it was done,it looked like a factory conversion.. :grin:

The guy I bought it from bought the car in St.Cloud FL,and drove it to NH with its original 250 six and a powerglide--then one day I visited him,and saw how rusted his 69 Suburban he had for years had gotten--I said "its too bad the wagon body wont fit the suburban chassis"....and his eyes got big!..about a year later I went back for another visit--and there was the Chevelle wagon,sitting proudly on the burbs chassis!...he sold it to me after he drove it about a year,and the original 350 started smoking pretty bad--I had a 73 454 from an Impala looking for a new home,so in it went!...I had a blast in that car--at car shows I'd get more people gawking than the guy next to me in his 50,000 dollar vette!..the chicks dug the car too!..

I'm a fan of older muscle cars--I've had a 69 GTO,a few Buick Wildcats with nailhead V8's,and many other GM cars and trucks....I'd never chop one of those up to make it 4x4--I've seen a 69 GTO that was converted--it looked ridiculous,and I nearly peuked at the thought of desacrating a nice old muscle car to make it an off road rig..it had a mint body too--such a waste!...

I figured nobody would miss a station wagon--but still quite a few people had negative comments about it...others offered to buy it on the spot for twice what I gave for it!...I'd never cut up any original muscle car to make a 4wd out of it...even that 64 El Camino on E-bay I saw here yesterday should be restored--that was the lowest production year of El-Caminos,and even a rough one for parts brings at least 1000 bucks here in the northeast!..but since they aren't quite so rare in the southwest,I guess more people are willing to sacrifice a few... :crazy:

16. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Didnt this fad die in the 80's? I havent seen one of those in atleast 10 years. I mean I thought about doing it once but that was only because I had a really nice blazer rolling chassis and a sweet 82 firebird body. Trust me though I never would have even thought of it if it was a classic.

17. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think its cool :cool1:
    Theres tons of old chevelles areound. Every car show has more than you can shake a stick at. They are a dime a dozen. So what if someomne wants to make a 4x4 out of one. :grin: :grin: looks like fun. :thumb: I'd like to drive it.

19. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I think it's pretty cool too... just afraid to say so as everyone bashes it... does my project count as a classic killer? '54 on a 77 4x4 frame?

20. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Monster Chevelle

I was going to say that these thing were pretty popular back when I lived on Long Island, and sure enough, the seller is from Long Island! There were tons of these things around. I've seen them with 69 Camaro's, Vega's, Pinto's, old Kingswood Estate wagons, you name it. They got to be pretty ho-hum after awhile, which is why he's probably selling it on E-bay, since everyone on the Island is looking at it as yesterday's news.